Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Systems Engineer will support ongoing Lonza operations through technical assistance as it relates to computerized systems infrastructure for process automation and laboratory systems. In this role, you will act as a technical resource to site operations to ensure that systems are designed and operating to meet production needs. Occasional support for external sites or global initiatives as needed.
Participation in an on-call rotation to provide afterhours support to resolve issues outside of normal business hours will be required.
- Provide day-to-day Operations Technology (OT) and infrastructure support for the site supporting a range of business areas including Quality Control, Manufacturing, Engineering, Controls Automation, Facilities, and others as needed.
- Contribute to designing, documenting and implementing infrastructure to meet site needs while aligning with corporate standards and industry best practices.
- Maintain the integrity of site infrastructure, which includes performing routine preventative maintenance (patching, updates, upgrades) and ensuring appropriate security standards are followed.
- Monitor and troubleshoot daily system backups. Perform maintenance and repairs for operator workstations, label printers, and wireless devices.
- Proactively recognize potential issues or problems and establish the necessary corrective actions.
- Assist with the planning and execution of plant projects involving computerized infrastructure changes and process improvements.
- Investigate and troubleshoot technical problems of increasing complexity.
- Utilize colleagues, system documentation, and support contracts to solve complex problems.
- Continuous awareness of new methodologies pertinent to information systems and ability to introduce them with limited supervisory input in a GMP compliant manner.
- Develop, test and maintain disaster recovery procedures.
- Authoring of commissioning protocols (installation, operation, etc.)
- Own change requests and participate in all aspects of implementing changes.
- Assist the Quality department with deviation/root cause investigations.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Preferred areas of study: Computer Science, Information Technology or an applicable Engineering discipline.
- Familiarity with an event based Manufacturing Execution System (MES) preferably in the life sciences field: Emerson’s Syncade platform preferred.
- Significant experience in Information Technology in a high availability production and laboratory environment. Biotech/pharma or regulated industry experience preferred.
- Experience scripting in PowerShell, Python, and/or VB.
- Experience with programming languages; VB Script, .Net, and SQL is preferred.
- Experience with designing information interfaces, data conversion, and network and infrastructure fundamentals.
- Experience with databases; Oracle and SQL Server.
- Knowledge of virtualization platforms and functionality – VMWARE preferred.
- Understanding of network switching and network monitoring utilities – CISCO preferred.
- Exposure to OSI’s PI platform is highly desired.
- Exposure to Infometric InfoBatch is highly desired.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.