Lonza Launches GS piggyBac™ - A Unique and Versatile Cell Line Engineering Technology
• Combining piggyBac™ transposon technology with Lonza's GS Xceed® expression system results in stable CHO pools with high levels of recombinant protein expression
• The GS piggyBac™ system offers benefits for bioprocessing, particularly for challenging low-expressing proteins, helping to generate high-performing pools for material supply
• Ability to insert large amounts of DNA into the host cell genome makes this system ideally suited to the challenge of expressing an increasing diversity of protein formats
Basel (CH) 27 March 2019 – Lonza announced today the next stage in the evolution of its market-leading GS Xceed® expression platform with the launch of GS piggyBac™, a highly efficient gene integration technology. GS piggyBac™ is capable of inserting large DNA cargos into transcriptionally active and genetically stable areas of the genome associated with highly expressed genes. Demonstrating higher yields and enhanced performance, GS piggyBac™ is well suited to support the expression of challenging proteins.
Commitment to innovation
Lonza's GS Xceed® expression system is built on more than 35 years of mammalian expression, process development, technical and manufacturing expertise. A constant focus on improvement ensures a market-leading, robust and scalable mammalian expression platform for producing next generation recombinant therapeutic proteins. The system includes Lonza's proprietary CHOK1SV GS-KO® cell line, vectors and access to optimized cell culture media, feeds and extensive expertise.
Acquiring the exclusive global IP rights to the proven piggyBac™ transposon technology for the bioprocessing sector, reinforces Lonza's commitment to continuous technology advancements of our expression platforms. The launch of GS piggyBac™ allows Lonza to offer customers best-in-class technology that further enhances the GS Xceed® expression platform and Lonza's clinical development & manufacturing offerings.
Addressing market needs
“Biologic pipelines are evolving toward more-complex protein formats creating a growing demand for the reliable, high titer expression of these challenging biologics,” said Sarah Holland, Lonza's Global Head of Licensing. “More than ever before, there is a real need for robust and scalable expression platforms that can keep pace with these requirements. GS piggyBac™ is ideally suited to help our customers address these challenges. The potential of this technology to improve cell line stability and productivity is an area of huge promise.”
Keith Hutchison, Head of R&D at Lonza Pharma Biotech added: “The piggyBac™ technology implementation and the subsequent launch of GS piggyBac™ has been a key focus for our R&D team. This new development offers our customers access to enhanced technology platforms for mammalian expression and biomanufacturing.”
Lonza can offer access to GS piggyBac™ for new and existing GS System® license holders. Enquiries about licensing GS piggyBac™ should be directed here. Further information is available at the following website: www.pharma.lonza.com/gspiggybac.
Key Dates to Note:
• 3-4 April 2019: BioProcess International, Europe | Cell Line Engineering and Development, at Messe Wien Exhibition Congress Center, Vienna (AT)
• 10-11 April 2019: PEGS 2019, at Seaport World Trade Center, Boston, MA (USA)
• 24-25 April 2019: 12th Annual Proteins & Antibodies Congress at Novotel West, London (UK)