Lonza to Highlight New ScreenLight™ Block at In-Cosmetics Latin America
- Recently launched bioactive functional ingredient helps protect skin from blue light and environmental stressors.
South Plainfield, NJ (USA), 28 August 2018 – At In-Cosmetics Latin America, Lonza will feature its new Bioactive Functional ingredient, ScreenLight™ Block, which helps protect skin against the visible effects of blue light, UV light and pollution. In-Cosmetics Latin America will take place 19-20 September in São Paulo (BR). Lonza will be at Stand E30.
“ScreenLight™ Block provides a powerful defensive shield against the visible skin aging effects of blue light and more,” said Vanessa Arruda, PhD, Global Market Development Manager, Bioactives. “Consumers who use their cell phones and computers extensively can apply facial creams that not only mitigate the visible effects of the blue light emanating from their screens, but also help protect their skin against the effects of UV stress and pollution.”
The recently launched ScreenLight™ Block helps protect skin against the visible effects of environmental stress factors in a number of ways. It:
- Helps reduce the appearance of dark spots, resulting in skin that appears more evenly toned (based on in vivo clinical data);
- Helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles (based on subjects’ perceptions of themselves);
- Helps prevent increased melanin production from exposure to visible light and pollution (based on ex vivo data); and
- Helps protect skin against the visible effects of light exposure by reducing the negative impact on cellular antioxidant potential (measured by superoxide dismutase, or SOD, expression); elastin, fibrillin, microfibrillar-associated protein 4 (MFAP4) and metalloproteinase-1 (MMP-1, based on ex vivo & in vitro data).
Arruda noted that environmental stressors can degrade unprotected skin and reduce the availability of MFAP4, fibrillin and elastin, leading to loss of elasticity, skin photo-aging, worsening wrinkles, fine lines and hyperpigmentation.
Third-party in vitro testing showed that ScreenLight™ Block acts differently under different stress conditions. Under visible light and under conditions of artificial pollution, the bioactive decreases melanin synthesis in the skin. Under UV stress ScreenLight™ Block protects collagen and increases skin elasticity. Clinical trial results showed that ScreenLight™ Block helps reduce the appearance of dark spots, resulting in skin that appears more evenly toned, and helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Cutting-Edge Extraction Technology
Lonza produces the ScreenLight™ Block by using cutting-edge Supercritical CO2 extraction, a more environmentally friendly process than traditional extraction techniques. The Physalis alkekengi extract, from a subtropical fruit better known as Chinese Lantern and rich in phytosterols, is obtained by the Supercritical CO2 process. Beta carotene is obtained by the fermenting fungus Blakeslea trispora.
Arruda said ScreenLight™ Block is particularly relevant for those who understand that environmental stress factors may negatively affect their skin. She said ScreenLight™ Block is appropriate for such skin care formulations as facial cream and after-shave lotion, for make-up and for gentle cosmetic formulations.