Image of rat striatum neurons

The Lonza Neural Knowledge Center is dedicated to sharing educational articles and resources related to everything in neuroscience. Click on the links below to explore different articles. Information covered will range from basic brain biology to current cell applications in neural research.  

If there is a topic you would like to see highlighted, please don't hesitate to send a suggestion to our team.

Image of Rat Astrocytes


Introduction to Astroglia


The human brain consists of approximately one trillion cells, of which approximately 10% are considered to be neurons, and the remaining 90% of cells are glia.1 Astroglia, often called astrocytes, are one of the major types of glial cell. Read more


Image of rat cortical cells 


Introduction to Cortical Neurons


Composed of roughly 10-14 billion neurons, the cerebral cortex is the brain’s outer layer of neural tissue.  Neurons in the cortex are known to play a vital role in memory, attention, perception, awareness and consciousness. Read more



Image of rat hippocampal neurons


Introduction to Hippocampal Neurons


Hippocampal neurons play a major role in the functioning of the human brain. Humans and other mammals have two hippocampi, one in each side of the brain. The hippocampus belongs to the limbic system and plays an important role in the consolidation of information from short to long-term memory.  Read more


Stay tuned! More articles to come soon.


Further info needed?

Explore our neural cells and media offering here