Head of Engineering and Facilities
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Head of Engineering and Facilities will report to the site leader and serve as a full member of the Site Leadership Team responsible for site strategy, execution and results, incumbent will have overall responsibility for providing Engineering and Facilities Services to the site through management of engineering and maintenance staff and leadership of the full department of approximately 230 persons. Ensure that issues in these areas are prioritized, delegated and followed through to resolution. These areas include:
- Manufacturing Engineering (Project Engineering, Plant Engineering and Suite Maintenance)
- Instrumentation and Controls (Controls Engineering, MES Support, Infrastructure and Networks, and Calibration).
- Utilities and HVAC Operation and Maintenance
- Buildings and Grounds Maintenance
- Electrical Maintenance
- Site Capex
Maintenance Management and Planning Systems including responsibility:
- Implementation of multiple capital projects which may include capital budgets and tracking and monitoring of all operating budgets. Serves as CAPEX manager for the site and approves all Capital Authorization Requests (CARs). Site Capex budget of $40 million annually.
- Ensure that engineering work takes place in a manner consistent with Lonza policy and procedure and consistent with other LCM and Group facilities and standards. Ensure that all engineering solutions are designed and implemented in accordance with accepted standards of cGMP and Good Engineering Practice. Interfaces with peers at other sites to share best practices and ensure harmonization where appropriate.
- Assist in looking at the long term objectives for growth and change within the company and anticipate engineering activities that will be required to meet these objectives. Provide input to senior management of both the cost and schedule implications of engineering alternatives. Interface with customers' potential processes and products from the standpoint of fit into current systems or definitions of modifications to ensure fit. Interface with customers to resolve issues or make improvements to current operations.
- Overall responsibility for providing Engineering and Facilities Services to the site through management of engineering staff and leadership of the full department of approximately 230 persons. Ensure that issues in these areas are prioritized, delegated and followed through to resolution.
- Responsible for driving improvement activities and management of Department and Site Key Process Indicators through the Lonza Business Management System (LBMS).
- Develops and implements systems to ensure that the Engineering/Facilities support infrastructure supports site goals. This includes maintenance systems, automation programs, drawing systems, project engineering etc.
- Responsible for establishing objectives for department and all assigned staff. Provide direction during the year as to the priority of these objectives and provide feedback on results. Make recommendations for development of skills and performance, and counsel employees on career options and alternatives, facilitate actions from Voice of Employee engagement survey
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering. MS Degree in Engineering preferred or MBA
- 10 Years of experience in the field of technical/process engineering support to bio/pharm facilities.
- 5 Years of experience with Engineering/Maintenance support to a licensed bio/pharm facility. Track record in implementation of systems to improve efficiency and adherence to GMP.
- 8 Years or experience in management of professional and technical staff with accountability for objectives and subsequent evaluation
- 5 Years of experience in managing managers with accountability for objectives and subsequent evaluation
- 2 Years of experience with company financial systems and an understanding of accounting practices and financials
- 5 Years of experience with Regulatory and GMP requirements for operating a licensed bio/pharm mfg. Facility
- 5Years of experience in working with external design and construction contractors in executing work within facilities
- 5 Years of experience with customers in a CMO business plan.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.