Director - Investigations, Ethics & Compliance
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are looking for professionals to grow with us and we have an exciting opportunity in our Legal group. The Director, Ethics & Compliance is responsible for handling internal investigations in the Americas and collaborating with those who handle in other regions, to ensure objective, consistent investigation and management of allegations of wrongdoing.
The Director Ethics & Compliance will be responsible for knowing applicable law and regulator expectations with respect to internal investigations, compliance programs and reporting; will develop and implement policies and procedures regarding the same; will lead data management and assessment in support of improvements in company initiatives that focus on risk management, improved compliance and employee engagement; and will execute the compliance training program. This person will prepare reports for senior management, as well as reporting of program metrics for external reporting (Sustainability Report) and manage our internal compliance training program, as directed by General Counsel, Head of Ethics & Compliance.
- Investigations: Lead, conduct and document investigations in the Americas (and elsewhere as assigned) into alleged violations of company policies or other wrongdoing, including conducting root cause analyses of any substantiated allegations and recommend remedial measures in each case in collaboration with other stakeholders (Legal, HR, Quality, IT, EHS, outside counsel, etc.)
- Training & Communication: Develop and execute the global E&C training strategy and program (including relationship with and execution of program with third party vendor) and related communications campaign to drive risk mitigation, increased awareness of compliance obligations (effective training) and employee engagement.
- Policies and Procedures: Identify, recommend, develop and implement global policies and procedures related to internal investigations and reporting, incorporating requirements of internal (HR, Legal, Quality, IT, etc.) and external (regulators, customers, investors) stakeholders. Provide guidance to other E&C investigators on the same.
- Data Management and Risk Assessment: Lead data management efforts and reporting to support proactive risk identification, trends and opportunities for improvement in E&C in the organization. Support audits and assessments of compliance programs.
- Systems: Manage hotline reporting and disclosure tool (including relationship with and execution of system with third party vendor), in collaboration with other members of E&C team, including system administrator.
- Management: Manage Compliance Manager who is responsible for data analytics and various operational processes and controls. Provide leadership and guidance to E&C colleagues around the world regarding US regulator expectations and best practices.
- Other: Perform other duties as assigned by General Counsel, Head of E&C and/or Group General Counsel
- Bachelors’ degree in Legal Studies or related field required; JD a plus
- 10+ years in house Investigation experience
- Ability to assess and manage complex investigations objectively, professionally and consistently and identify root cause without clear indicators.
- Ability to stay abreast of trends, requirements and expectations of stakeholders in internal investigations and E&C programs, generally.
- Ability to strategically assess how isolated incidents and other data indicate emerging risks that may have global business impact; define/implement global mitigation/prevention actions in response to findings and trends.
- Skillful communication skills across all stakeholder groups, geographic and functional boundaries
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.