Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Plant Engineer role supports ongoing Lonza operations by providing technical assistance as it relates to manufacturing and process systems. The role acts as a technical resource to operations customers to ensure that equipment and facilities are designed, operated, and maintained to meet production needs. Responsibilities of the role include implementation of engineering projects to support manufacturing requirements.
- Develop technical knowledge on manufacturing equipment and processes
- Manage resolution of major equipment breakdowns and quality issues in the suites
- Provide SME support to Manufacturing and other departments for the design and operation of process equipment.
- Conduct troubleshooting and technical analyses on manufacturing equipment and processes including PI data analyses, CIP/SIP circuit review, MOC analyses, flow path analyses, etc.
- Assist with tech transfer of new processes into the facility
- Modify/develop preventative maintenance plans and create spare parts
- Complete change request lot assessments to support lot release
- Participates in IPT/JPT meetings as engineering representative
- Planning and execution of plant projects involving equipment changes and process improvements including lump sum capital projects
- Execute commissioning protocols (installation, operation, CIP/SIP, wet testing)
- Own change requests and complete change request tasks to support project completion
- Perform change request assessments
Deviations / RCAs
- Assist the Quality department with deviation investigations
- Participate in RCAs as Engineering representative
- Assist with completion of CAPA actions
- Participates in quality risk assessments
- Review/revise Engineering and Manufacturing related SOP’s, work instructions, and maintenance assessments/procedures as a result of CAPA, equipment/process changes, error prevention activities, etc.
- Complete engineering review/approval of batch records
- Initiate EDCRs for updates to Engineering documents including engineering drawings
- Author and review commissioning protocols (installation, operation, CIP/SIP, wet testing).
- Remain up to date on all assigned training activities including SAP Learning Portal (>90%), ComplianceWire (no overdue), iComply (no overdue), and QSMRT (attend all sessions)
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering discipline. Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite with focus on Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Experience in biotech or other regulated industry.
- Experience in Project Management and coordination associated with the execution of projects in an industrial environment required. Ability to work on projects (2-3) simultaneously ensuring compliance with quality and safety standards.
- Ability to keep customers/requesters and management apprised of status of work under your direction. Ability to maneuver around hurdles to accomplish goals/tasks
- Ability to evaluate engineering problems and be able to devise cause and effect relationships and propose solutions. Understands how other departments are impacted by engineering work and communicates with other departments where needed.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.