Group Lead, Automation Engineering
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented
people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an opening for an experienced Automation Engineer, Group Lead at their Bend, Oregon location. As Group Lead, Automation Engineering you will be responsible for guiding the site automation strategy and collaborating with and mentoring other automation engineers. A successful candidate will demonstrate familiarity with automated industrial control systems as well as knowledge of IT/OT, network & security systems. Enthusiasm for project and team leadership, a collaborative mindset; working with other colleagues on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, open communication, and a desire to learn are key attributes.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead and work collaboratively with automation team colleagues, lead electrical and automation designs, communicate openly, and foster a learning environment for the team
- Set site strategy for automated systems and infrastructure
- Support 24/7 operation of GMP process and facility equipment and control systems with the goal of maximum uptime.
- Assist in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of automated process and facility equipment and control systems
- Support equipment startup, commissioning, and qualification activities
- Troubleshoot and repair automated industrial control systems to support manufacturing and development operations
- Perform hands-on, detailed work, in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- Work in close collaboration with IT/OT/Network Infrastructure and Security Teams to ensure a reliable and secure automated manufacturing environment
- Support updates to and maintenance of data historian systems (OSIsoft PI System)
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred), Associates Degree (minimum) in Industrial Controls / Automation / Electrical Engineering or similar field
- Experience and enthusiasm for leading projects and teams
- Experience working with industrial automation, instrumentation and controls, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in biotech/pharmaceutical or similar regulated industries preferred
- After hours support of manufacturing operations on an on-call rotation basis
- Electrical troubleshooting experience and familiarity with safety practices a plus
- Familiarity with Allen Bradley PLC and HMI development environment, Studio 5000 and supporting FactoryTalk systems
- Knowledge of 2D CAD systems to support electrical and system documentation preferred
- Familiarity with P&IDs a plus
- Familiarity with SCADA and Building Automation Systems preferred
- Familiarity with IT/OT, network systems, and security a plus
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference. Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.