Head of Characterisation
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We have an exciting opportunity for a driven and ambitious Head of Department within Characterisation. As Head of Characterisation you will be responsible for the safe and profitable operation of this group within Development Services. You will be responsible for establishing and maintaining systems that exceed customer expectations and deliver Lonza targets in line with Safety, Quality, Cost, Delivery, People and Innovation. We are looking for a successful leader that will strive for operational excellence, set strategies for the department, drive growth and make Lonza a great place to work. This role currently has 3 direct reports but may grow overtime.
- Deliver results and be accountable for completion of work within department to target KPIs
- Set/Lead/Coach tactical and strategic review meetings
- Manage operations by direct implementation, improvement and maintenance of department operating mechanisms
- Recruitment, training and succession planning for the department
- Ensure the department is allocated work in line with billable hours targets and work life balance
- Cascade group strategy and goals for the team as appropriate
- Work with the team to identify and set performance goals and development plans, using the SMART framework
- Performance Management to in include addressing any gaps in staff performance promptly and creating personal improvement plans where necessary
- Act as independent manager for investigations Innovation and Improvement
- Proven track record for the implementation of continuous improvement projects through leading/coaching/mentoring of staff
- BSc within relevant scientific/ technical discipline
- Previous experience of managing a team
- A good technical understanding of mass spectrometry
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to run productive meetings
- Decisive and results oriented
- The ability to delegate delivery of strategy and key KPI's
- Design, implement and monitor annual performance review process
- Strives to inspire the team to deliver vision, strategy and operational excellence
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.