Senior Database Engineer
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Database Engineer to join our global team based in either the Lonza Milan or Porrino sites . As a Database Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in providing level 3 expert support, advanced troubleshooting, and consulting services for our database infrastructure. Our organization operates in the pharmaceutical industry, and your expertise will contribute to maintaining a robust and compliant database environment. The ideal candidate will have expertise in Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle, a strong background in IBM DB2, and ideally possess knowledge of MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB. Familiarity with public cloud provider database offerings is also desirable. This is a remote-based position with potential travel opportunities, comprising up to 10% of the total work time per year.
- Provide level 3 expert support for complex database issues, including advanced troubleshooting, root cause analysis, and resolution.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and provide database consulting services to ensure optimal database design, performance, and scalability in a global environment.
- Develop and optimize complex SQL queries, stored procedures, and triggers to enhance database performance and meet industry regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and proactively manage database systems to ensure optimal performance, availability, and compliance with industry standards.
- Work closely with support and development teams, and software vendors to review and optimize database-related code for performance and efficiency.
- Implement and enforce database security measures and controls to ensure data integrity, confidentiality, and compliance with regulatory requirements in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Participate in the design and implementation of database backup, disaster recovery, and high-availability solutions.
- Collaborate with global teams to define and implement database standards, best practices, and procedures.
- Stay up to date with the latest industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in database management and administration.
- Develop and maintain documentation, including database schemas, diagrams, and standard operating procedures.
- Conduct regular knowledge sharing sessions and provide training to junior database administrators.
- Participate in P1 support for critical database issues.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field. Equivalent work experience may be considered.
- Extensive experience as a Database Engineer or similar role, preferably in a pharmaceutical or equivalent regulated environment.
- Expertise in Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle database management systems.
- Strong proficiency in IBM DB2, including advanced troubleshooting, performance tuning, and optimization.
- Solid understanding of database concepts, such as normalization, indexing, replication, and clustering.
- Familiarity with additional database technologies, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.
- Knowledge of public cloud provider database offerings (e.g., AWS RDS, Azure SQL Database, Google Cloud SQL) is a plus.
- Experience in providing level 3 expert support and advanced troubleshooting for complex database issues.
- Strong understanding of database security principles and experience implementing security measures in a regulated environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Ability to work independently, taking a self-guided approach to set and manage priorities effectively, ensuring the timely and successful delivery of assigned responsibilities.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to convey complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders. German would be advantageous.
- Ability to work remotely and effectively manage tasks and priorities independently.
- Flexibility to travel occasionally, up to 10% of the time, based on business needs and project requirements.
- Professional certifications related to database administration (e.g., Microsoft Certified: Azure Database Administrator Associate, Oracle Certified Professional, IBM Certified Database Administrator).
- Experience with database automation and infrastructure-as-code tools (e.g., Ansible, Terraform, Puppet).
- Solid knowledge and experience with popular operating systems such as Windows Server and Linux (e.g., Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu).
- Prior experience in a pharmaceutical or equivalent regulated environment, with knowledge of industry-specific regulations such as Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and 21 CFR Part 11.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.