Director, US Tax Compliance
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are looking for professionals to grow with us and we have an exciting opportunity in our Finance group. The Director US Tax Compliance - in close alignment with the Regional Head of Tax Americas - will manage the tax compliance processes for Lonza US entities (timely preparation and filing of all federal, state and local tax returns, management of direct and indirect tax audits, tax support to Lonza businesses) and will work in the specific tax projects (research, studies, analysis, preparation of memos and presentations etc.) assigned by the Regional Head of Tax Americas
In this role, the Director US Tax Compliance will work with the Lonza US tax team/staff, by managing and coordinating the necessary activities, and will be directly involved (“hands-on”) in the preparation/review/analysis needed to successfully execute the tax compliance processes and the projects assigned.
- Coordinate the timely preparation and review of all federal, state, local tax returns for Lonza US Group US (including the US tax compliance of the non-US legal entities owned via Lonza US group) to ensure timely filing and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Manage the process of the return preparation by Lonza US tax team/staff. Collect, analyze, and format financial information, work with Lonza US finance and accounting departments to gather information needed to complete all required tax forms/reports. Manage tax compliance team/staff to assist in the collection of data and ensure that the information is properly reviewed to minimize errors. Set deadlines with tax compliance team/staff for the completion of projects so that sufficient time is available to review information in detail prior to filing with tax authorities.
- Maintain tax software to be used to prepare all federal and state tax returns for Lonza US entities.
- Maintain a tax depreciation software database to be used in order to correctly calculate the Federal and State Depreciation adjustments.
- Preparation and review of estimated tax payments calculations to minimize excess tax payments and liaising with Lonza US Treasury department to pre-inform on the payments amount expected and to be executed.
- Investigate and implement tax optimization opportunities, including income exclusions and tax credits, to be pre-discussed and aligned with the Regional Head of Tax Americas. Ensure that best practices are employed to efficiently gather, use, document, and maintain the related supporting documentation in line with the applicable law and regulations.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops or classes; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
- Manage the various tax notices and exams in such a manner that the position is knowledgeable enough of the laws/requirements so that the position can answer IRS and or state authority’s questions and concerns.
- Assist in the effective and efficient tax transition and consolidation of newly acquired Lonza’s entities under the Lonza US tax umbrella.
- Perform tax analysis/researches and prepare memorandums and presentations in relation to specific tax projects assigned by the Regional Head of Tax Americas
- Manage, under the lead of (and in close alignment with) the Regional Head of Tax Americas, federal, state & local tax audits from various US jurisdictions, negotiate with tax authorities and defend the positions taken by Lonza by maintaining complete and accurate files. Make sure that sufficient information is gathered and maintained during the tax returns process to support amounts that might be questioned in the future under audit.
- Responsible for FATCA Compliance and maintaining W-8BENE forms and W-9 forms for all units within and out of the US.
- In close alignment with the Regional Head of Tax Americas, manage tax compliance team/staff and recommend and encourage training seminars to help them improve their tax knowledge and develop their careers. Provide feedback to staff on projects completed.
- Align with Regional Head of Tax to ensure that Lonza’s global and US tax strategies and optimization of Lonza’s tax position are implemented and correctly reflected in the US tax returns and provisions.
- Frequently liaise with Regional Head of Tax Americas to discuss Lonza’s US tax position in general, and with respect to specific items identified as (materially) influencing Lonza’s US tax position. Timely inform Regional Head of Tax Americas about tax audits announced, and keep Regional Head of Tax Americas informed about progress and status of tax audits, discussing general approach, what information will be provided, negotiation positions, and the response to proposed adjustments.
- Bachelors’ degree required, Masters’ degree in Taxation/Accounting preferred
- Significant years of experience in US Corporate Tax Compliance and Tax Accounting
- Experience leading multiple complex initiatives simultaneously
- Flexibility and willingness to perform other tasks assigned
- Ability to gather and organize large amounts of highly technical and specialized information from numerous sources
- Significant work experience interfacing with Tax function colleagues in US and Globally
- Highly proficient with time and process management
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.