Business Development Director - External Innovation (Remote)
United Kingdom, Slough
Business Development Director – External Innovation (Remote)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As part of the newly-created Innovation function within Lonza Bioscience, we have an opening for an External Innovation Business Development Director to support ongoing activities expanding the cutting-edge solutions we offer our customers across our key markets. Remote/site-based with c. 25% travel primarily across EMEA, the incumbent in this senior role will work alongside the Innovation leadership team and will be managing relationships to C-suite level with potential external partners.
This role is right at the heart of Lonza’s vision to bring any therapy to life and our purpose of enabling a healthier world. If you are someone who is excited by the opportunity to travel internationally, to seek out and internalize novel technologies into Lonza’s portfolio and to truly take ownership in creating these solutions then this could be the role for you!
- Responsible for sourcing, evaluating, negotiating, and executing deals that support the Lonza Bioscience innovation strategy.
- Collaborate with senior leaders in Lonza Bioscience to ensure alignment of strategic goals with business development/external innovation activities.
- Discover and internalise new and emerging technologies; drawing on Lonza’s scientific community to rigorously evaluate their potential and fit.
- Structure deals, negotiate with potential partners, and close deals in collaboration with key internal stakeholders throughout the entire deal process, including technical and commercial due diligence and negotiating appropriate business access terms.
- Work with marketing, strategy and innovation organisations to create and continually update roadmaps for key growth areas for the business – helping develop and execute a comprehensive business development plan that includes market analyses, competitive landscaping and financial modeling.
- Monitor industry trends, competitive products, relevant conferences and emerging technologies to identify opportunities for innovation and growth.
- Oversee the development and implementation of in-licensing/distribution agreements, JVs, collaborations/co-developments and partnerships for new technologies and products.
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts in the biotech industry (e.g. industry heads, academic researchers and deal brokers) to stay informed about emerging trends and opportunities.
- Remote/site-based position with up to 25% travel.
- Significant experience in business development, corporate development, or M&A in the biotech or life sciences industry; Search & Evaluation and Transactions experience a plus.
- Strong understanding of the biotech/life sciences industry, including market dynamics, regulatory environment, and emerging technologies.
- Commercial/Financial acumen
- Experience working in matrix organisations with demonstrable track record interacting up to c-suite level.
- Exposure across all aspects of the pharmaceutical innovation and R&D process from early discovery through to marketed products.
- Proven track record creating preliminary and full investment cases and sharing these to support and connect with senior leaders.
- Prior project leadership experience working in matrixed teams.
- Comfortable in regularly presenting to senior level leaders and key stakeholders.
- Personal attributes: Proactive, results-motivated, dependable, confidence to challenge status quo, influencing without authority, ability to operate in ambiguity, innovative and creative in finding solutions, inter-personal skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.