Associate Principal Scientist (Team Lead) - Molecular Biology
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We have an exciting opportunity for a lab based Associate Principal Scientist to join our team in Cambridge. You will ideally have extensive experience in mammalian cell expression platforms and molecular biology including transposase-based gene delivery. The successful person will have the opportunity to mentor a small team and manage projects where you will liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
- Design and enhance genetic expression tools including Lonza’s piggyBac® transposase system using HTP methodologies for enhanced protein production and expression stability
- Effectively communicate experimental and project progress to leadership
- Generate scientific content for manuscripts, meetings and conferences
- Keep up with the latest technologies and techniques of gene delivery and protein production and proactively engage stakeholders with recommendations
- Foster a mindset of innovation within the team and proactively lead and direct scientific discussion
- Ensure highest levels of scientific rigour among the team
- Support and manage relationships with internal and external partners
- Proactively and visibly drive change through the execution of innovative projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
- At least 40% laboratory based role
- Educated to degree level (PhD desired) in a relevant scientific discipline
- R&D technological background in molecular biology and recombinant protein expression in mammalian cells (CHO suspension cultures is advantageous)
- Strong record of innovation and scientific publications in peer reviewed journals
- Desired lab skills include: mammalian cell culture, transient/stable transfections and fed-batch cultures. Experience with different nucleofection systems, qPCR/digital PCR, flow cytometry and next generation sequencing (NGS), transposase-based gene delivery systems
- Advantageous skills include experience with single cell sorting methods, automation and liquid handling equipment (e.g. Ambr bioreactor, Tecan), Systems Biology (e.g. transcriptomics, proteomics) and bioinformatics tools
- Excellent people, communication, and organisational skills
- Other required skills: Integrity, goal-oriented, can-do attitude, competence, ability to delegate, problem solving
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.