Sr. Engineer, Early Phase Manufacturing Technology
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an opening for Senior Engineer on our Early Phase Clinical Manufacturing team at our Bend, Oregon site. We are looking for a self-starter that contributes to a multidisciplinary team to design, develop and advance drug products to the market on behalf of customers and their patients.
- Fluent application of chemical and engineering fundamentals including: conservation of mass and energy, heat and mass transport, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, chemistry, materials science, and mathematical modeling
- Collaborate with client and internal multi-disciplinary team members to define formulation, process, and product development approach
- With minimal supervision, formulate and present experimental results to internal teams and/or clients
- Review and interpret data in order to support decisions that advance product development programs
- Assist and support GMP manufacturing by participating in activities, including, but not limited to: development study design and execution, training, clinical tech transfer, investigation support, product commercialization and ongoing product support, equipment design and qualification, and change control
- Evaluate pharmaceutical equipment and processes to optimize performance and ensure compliance with safety and/or environmental regulations
- Identify opportunities for new technology development and/or continuous improvements to existing technologies
- Support scheduling and coordinate work plan execution to ensure safe, high quality, and on time delivery of project milestones across multiple projects
- Advance appropriate models to relate key product attributes to formulation and process parameters
- Prepare estimate of development costs for management, clients, and other stakeholders
- Prepare written documents such as standard operating procedures, memos, reports, and tech transfer documentation
- Serve as subject matter expert (SME) / technical expert in specific area(s) of expertise as required across portfolio of programs/products
- Schedule work to meet project deliverables across multiple projects
- Accountable for client relationship success through work executed by the Project Lead, Project manager, and subject matter experts
- Accountable for the technical quality of project deliverables
- Act as a technical and professional mentor for less experienced colleagues
- Act as consultant to the Project manager when defining SOW strategy and budget
- Ensure safe work environment, processes, and standards
- Ensure data quality and integrity
- Adhere to development quality systems and standards
- B.S./M.S. degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical science, or related engineering/scientific field
- Experience in chemical engineering, drug development or related field, including relevant graduate school experience
- Familiarity with analyzing and interpreting common analytical data used for amorphous pharmaceutical applications such as HPLC, dissolution, GC, DSC, XRPD, and KF is highly desirable
- Strong foundation in mathematical and scientific principles
- Ability to perform and document experiments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, dynamic, highly collaborative, scientifically-driven, team-oriented, and customer-focused environment inclusive of research, development, and GMP manufacturing
- Knowledge of method development, qualification and validation around common pharmaceutical analytical techniques is preferred
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.