Associate Principal / Principal Scientist
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Associate Principal / Principal Scientist with extensive experience in Molecular/Synthetic Biology to lead a team of scientists focused on developing gene expression platforms with enhanced performance characteristics.
You will be leading a team of laboratory-based scientists with a diverse range of skills and experience across a range of fields including cell and molecular biology, mammalian cell culture, recombinant protein expression and protein engineering. In this role you will have the opportunity to lead an innovative team that will develop new and emerging technologies in the field of biologics manufacturing. The role involves both project and people management responsibilities and hands-on time in the laboratory for performing experiments. The successful candidate will be a team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills and the capacity to innovate and inspire others
- Manage, and provide technical direction in generation of novel vector platforms to scientists working on various projects to reliably meet project deadlines
- Design, execute, analyse and sign-off experimental efforts to produce high quality information and records
- Work closely with other groups within R&D to deliver solutions or improvements in recombinant protein production
- Communicate experimental and project progress to leadership
- Generate scientific content for manuscripts, meetings and conferences
- Support and manage relationships with internal and external partners
- Keep up with the latest technologies and techniques of vector engineering and protein production and provide recommendations for applying them
- At least 40% laboratory based role
- PhD in Molecular Biology/Cell Biology/Biotechnology or related field, together with significant managerial experience in an industrial setting
- Proven track record of leading successful teams and mentoring scientists to meet project goals and deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to effectively convey project plans and complex technical information to a wide range of internal teams and leadership
- A strong record of innovation and scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Desired skills include mammalian cell culture, transient/stable transfections, fed-batch culture, flow cytometry and next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Advantageous skills include experience with single cell sorting methods, automation and liquid handling equipment (e.g. Ambr bioreactor, Tecan), Systems Biology (e.g. transcriptomics, proteomics) and bioinformatics tools
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.