Associate Principal Scientist – In silico Bioprocess Development
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As an Associate Principal Scientist, you will be providing scientific/technical leadership in the development and implementation of digital technologies to develop bioprocesses for therapeutic protein production.
This role requires predominantly office based technical and computational tasks and although you will not have direct line management responsibilities, you will be responsible for coaching and mentoring other team members therefore a strong scientific knowledge is key.
- Providing strong scientific/technical leadership in the development and implementation of digital applications for bioprocessing
- Maintain computational infrastructure and software platform for workflow creation
- Develop in silico screening workflows for use in a operational setting forming part of the commercial offering
- Collaborate with bioinformatics and machine-learning groups to achieve Lonza’s objectives on in silico technology projects
- Authoring and reviewing technical reports
- Adhering to Health, Safety, and Environmental practices, supporting risk assessments and complying with Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP), documentation, data integrity and training standards
- Supporting activity planning and resource management
- Masters or PhD degree, preferred area of study; biophysics, biochemistry, chemical or biological engineering
- Experience with protein structure analysis, protein bioinformatics and prediction of protein physico-chemical properties
- Experience in molecular dynamics simulations, protein structure modelling and prediction
- Programming and scripting experience in relevant languages (e.g. Python, Matlab, C++, R)
- Experience building automated workflows using scripting
- Understanding of the fundamentals of bioseparation unit operations (e.g. chromatography)
- Experience with technology development, evaluation and implementation in a computational and/or mathematical modelling discipline
- Technical knowledge of manufacturability assessments of bioproducts
- The ability to identify and define technology development opportunities
- Resilient individual, able to move on from setbacks and self-motivate and also others under challenging conditions
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.