Site Head - Cell & Gene Technologies
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As Site Head, this individual will have overall responsibility for directing the production of therapeutic cell therapy drug product under cGMP conditions; ensuring the safety, quality, compliance and efficiency, product delivery and financial execution. Leading a dedicated management team with full accountability for site profitability and success. Clear accountability for performance improvements and delivery. Direct responsibility for the operations team and leading a matrixed organization for Quality, Program Management, Finance and HR.
- Full accountability for operational management of the Lonza Houston site, within a highly matrix structured Lonza business and operations setup
- Deliver products and operating results for the Cell and Gene Therapy products
- Process improvement of new and existing products
- Community relations
- Working with Site Senior Leadership team in all departments (Operations, QA, QC, HR, Finance, etc.) the Site Head will be responsible for a growing staff, currently just under 1000 individuals, across Manufacturing, Process Development, BioAssay Development, Supply Chain, Facilities & Engineering, Technology Support and Risks Prevention. Safety, Hygiene & Environmental and Security will also fall under the responsibility of the Site Head
- Develop a streamlined team with shared business objectives and managing ongoing organizational changes and challenges
- Manage major growth and lead the site though the on-going expansion and transfer to the new site
- Working in collaboration with peers, manage external communications with clients including government negotiations and funding approvals as appropriate
- Lead, develop and coach a Site Leadership team with shared business objectives and manage continuous improvement and on-going organizational change
- Planning and execution of site activities consistent with company’s Vision, Value and Mission
- Ensure that the Houston site is in full compliance regarding quality and safety
- Assure appropriate staffing to meet business goals
- Ensure proactive community relations, Lonza’s reputation and leadership for community involvement
- Responsible for annual spending and capital budgets
- Responsible for product process development and improvement of existing and new products in all areas of manufacturing – cost, quality, safety environment, waste, etc.
- Ensure production capacity can meet customer needs. Develop and execute plans in a timely manner to provide capacity for future requirements
- Provide timely all site reports needed for the overall Operations report
- Active member of the global operations team for Emerging Technologies, support global operations strategy, foster best practice sharing and resource exchange.
- Maintain compliance with all relevant FDA, EMEA and other global compliance and quality procedures, programs, guidelines, and work instructions
- Support Lonza regulatory interaction with regulators
- BS in Life Sciences with concentration in Biology, Chemistry or Engineering
- Master degree preferred
- Highly experienced leading a manufacturing facility in biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Proven track record to lead an organization through major growth or change
- Excellent change management skills and experience, particularly in transforming culture
- Considerable experience and background in pharmaceutical / biologics / med-tech manufacturing in a highly regulated environment
- Experience working in an international company
- Working knowledge of GMP in pharmaceutical manufacturing in the US
- Experience working in matrix organizations and in multi-site cooperation
- Proven track record of delivering results against short and medium-term goals
- Proven ability to identify and fix problems at all levels across all functions
- Strong leadership & motivational skills
- Down to earth, passionate, motivational and action oriented
- A problem solver and visible leader
- Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team to face complex business challenges
- Ability to move daily with ease from hands-on to strategic planning
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.