Senior Systems Engineer - Electrical
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
This role is focused on the Cocoon Instrument products specifically - the integrated electromechanical laboratory equipment - which is used to manufacture and distribute patient-scale cancer therapies. This role is responsible to ensure the systems / electrical design of the Cocoon Instrument products can be sustained for manufacture and distribution within regulated markets, and that field defects are investigated and addressed at the design-level. This requires work in the area of integrated systems, electronics design, regulatory compliance, accommodating biological process requirements, prototyping and testing and transfer to manufacturing.
As Sr. Systems Engineer, you will be given autonomy within the project requirements, and expected to bring new ideas and innovation to the table. You will be expected to collaborate with other team members and across functions, guide activities of others on the team, and support multiple projects.
- Improves product quality and reliability, manufacturing efficiency and production yields through product design improvements
- Takes ownership of the Cocoon Instrument product design and regulatory status to address opportunities related to performance and vision for the product through connection with the users’ needs and design-for-assembly
- Investigates product complaints and non-conformances, performs root cause analysis of failures, and proposes corrective actions in a timely fashion
- Leads collaborative and complex design updates and implementations of corrective actions and backlog features related to product design within a cross-functional team
- Generates and reviews technical documentation including investigative pursuits, conceptual design, mechanical drawings, and technical reports, all within a ISO 13485 Quality Management System
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering- Systems, Electrical, Biomedical, Mechatronics or similar degree with focus on electronics design
- P.Eng or PMP a plus
- At least 5 years of experience working in medical device or product design/manufacture field
- Experience in a technical support/quality managed environment
- Development of board-level and system-level electrical design, ideally for medical devices and their standards
- Familiarity with PCB layout practices, including EMC performance
- Familiarity with electrical safety standards such as IEC 61010 or 60601 would be an asset
- Extensive understanding of eCAD systems – preferably Altium
- Project management
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem solving skills – organized and detail oriented, hands-on
- Competency in systems level design: thermal control systems, gas control systems, motorized control systems
- Experience working with bioreactor design and/or cell culture a STRONG plus
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.