Innovation Associate - Data Analytics Bioinformatics
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Innovation is about turning zero to one. Innovation is about disruption & transformation, innovation is bringing new ideas to life. Lonza is proud to have an arm to actively scout, evaluate and secure deals to bring technologies outside the organization to leverage the power of partnership and sustain an organic growth.
External Innovation is a key enabler of the transformation of Biologics R&D in Lonza. The mission of External Innovation is to sustain Lonza’s innovative and competitive edge in all biologics modalities by accessing enabling and disruptive technologies externally.
We are looking for an Innovation Associate who shares our passion in this field to join the team. This role can be based in our UK site (Cambridge) or Boston, US.
You will communicate with various Lonza stakeholders and leverage external networks to search, identify and evaluate opportunities and implement mechanisms to access these technologies.
Given the nature of the role that spans Science and Finance the successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional communication and negotiation skills and possess a passion for making a meaningful difference in the world we live in. Track record of working in a venture capital firm (biotech, MedTech), venture building, strategy consulting or technology transfer is key in this role.
External Innovation currently focuses on next generation technologies in Biologics Expression Systems, Mammalian and Microbial Biomanufacturing, mRNA and Cell & Gene Therapies. Additional areas include Bioinformatics, High throughput analytics and automation technologies, and emerging Non-Viral delivery methods. This role will focus on Bioinformatics, Data science, Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics.
- Develop Investment strategy for Lonza’s Biologics with a focus on adjacent growth
- Drive end-to-end process of deal screening, performing technical & financial due diligence, negotiate commercial terms and present deals at innovation board meetings.
- Work with internal stakeholders in various centers of excellence (expression systems, mRNA, Bioconjugates, cell & gene, etc) and other platforms to drive innovations within Lonza
- Perform landscape assessment on market, competition and technology trends and prioritize on which opportunities will bring Lonza to new markets and/or sustain a strategic growth within existing markets
- Work efficiently with CRM & Agile Project management tools to run an efficient deal making process
- Proactively support the continuous development of IP portfolio for creating new licensing deals
- Deal screening, Due Diligence, Negotiation, Deal Closure and Documentation is part of your day-to-day work
- Represent Lonza at suitable external conferences and events, be a Lonza ambassador to the external scientific and biotech communities.
- Manage and track all external opportunities in opportunity management system.
- Bring Innovations into life, make Lonza External Innovation team a true success within the organization
- PhD. In a relevant scientific discipline (Molecular Biology, Synthetic Biology, mRNA or Biochemistry)
- Several years of working experience in Venture Capital, Venture Building with a focus on Healthcare ideally Biotech/Medtech
- Several years of experience in Technology Transfer or Translational Research in Top Tier Academic Institutions in UK, Europe or USA
- Experience in Finance and Strategy Consulting in Lifescience from top tier consulting firms Mc Kinsey, BCG, LEK. is considered a huge plus
- Track record of venture investment or venture building
- In-depth understanding of technology and able to evaluate companies and business opportunities independently
- Team player, true team work , can do attitude and open to feedback
- Bringing a network of Biotech Startups in UK, US, Europe
- Brining a network of Tech Transfer offices and KOL’s within Biologic focus of Lonza in Europe, UK and USA
- Demonstrated innovative skills and experience in leading complex technology projects
- Ability to persuade and negotiate multidisciplinary projects with external and internal stakeholders
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.