Sr. Scientist, Product Development
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an opening for a Senior Scientist, Product Development at their Bend, OR location.
As a Senior Scientist in Product Development, you will be part of an elite team that designs products which solve some of the most challenging drug delivery problems in the pharmaceutical industry. You will be responsible for the design, development and progression of customer-based products and internal innovation in our key technology areas. Routinely you will design & conduct experiments, analyze & interpret data, and communicate & present results to both internal and external research & development teams. Success requires the application of scientific fundamentals in a hypothesis-driven environment to guide and support the development of methods, formulations, and processes needed to promote product success at all stages of the life cycle.
- Lead the delivery of innovative solutions for clients, contribute to the establishment of internal know-how and intellectual property, and drive continuous improvement
- Adhere to scientifically-sound practices; including both model-based and risk-based approaches to research, design, development, scale-up, and technology transfers of formulations, methods, and processes
- Apply knowledge of pharmaceutics plus chemistry, material science, and engineering to solve challenges around: safety, drug delivery, formulation, analytics, and manufacturing
- Demonstrate a high proficiency in a broad range of techniques and technical practices and the ability to identify and integrate new unit operations and experimental techniques with existing operations/technologies
- Design, execute, review, and interpret experiments using fundamental physical models to make decision recommendations toward the product development strategy
- Serve as technical expert in specific area(s) of expertise, and mentor colleagues and peers in applicable skills
- Communicate scientific concepts internally and externally in verbal and written format, including preparing reports, presentations, guidance documents and publishing results
- Routinely read and contribute to industry and scientific literature to support development of innovative technologies.
- Prepare written documents such as standard operating procedures, memos, reports, and technology transfer documentation
- Support GMP manufacturing activities as necessary serving as the SME on risk assessments, investigations, troubleshooting, and new equipment design.
- Ph.D with relevant experience, or BS/MS in Chemistry or Engineering related technical discipline with working experience.
- Maintain a continuous improvement mindset and demonstrate excellence in matters of safety, science, operations & quality.
- Demonstrate curiosity and a foundational skills in hypothesis testing & critical thinking, chemistry & material science, and data quality, integrity, interpretation & communication.
- Work independently and within multi-disciplinary teams to meet technical and business objectives and support the success of your colleagues, peers, and organization.
- Learn quickly, adapt and innovate in a customer centric and fast-paced environment
- Understand pharmaceutical regulations, industry guidelines and good manufacturing practices
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.