Associate Director, Capex Procurement
United States, Portsmouth (New Hampshire)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
In this role, you will assume accountability, manage and execute CAPEX procurement sourcing and spend for:
All external spend of assigned globally managed CAPEX category and sub-categories by identifying and deliver value based CAPEX Category Management excellence and through applying a professional strategic procurement approach. The position drives category expertise through an understanding of global/regional/local supply markets/trends, cost drivers and the impact to Lonza’s business model/capital projects. Develop supplier relationships that leverage supplier capabilities, improve supply continuity and reduce total cost of ownership. Category management will also act as a Key account role vs. defined key suppliers.
Lead and execute the CAPEX Project Procurement Management for assigned CAPEX projects (strategic sourcing, tendering, negotiations and contracting) within large and medium green or brown field CAPEX projects (project sizes/spend of 5 up to 200 Mio CHF) with the aim of optimizing value-for-money, lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), on time/schedule, quality and in-cost project purchases to support the goal for Lonza’s growth investments. The position shall ensure appropriate support to local project management in implementation and execution of CAPEX procurement strategies and processes, applying a professional strategic sourcing approach, and shall be instrumental in alignment of projects and group-wide knowledge sharing, including implementing unified processes and policies with the capital projects. The role oversees project based EPCMV contractors starting from feasibility and design studies through project execution, commissioning and finalization. During project execution, the role will supervise /manage external EPCM contractor’s procurement resources
In all its activities the position is expected to act as a commercial expert working in close corporation and coordination together with the Global Engineering team, the local project team and any other relevant internal or external stakeholder, ensuring a common Lonza approach to suppliers.
- Manage a team of external scourcing professionals towards delivering on the overall company and specific project goals.
- Drive a cohesive and high performing team
- Manage the relevant service and equipment supply process and ensure the necessary compliance and transparency within the project.
- Develop and maintain market understanding and working knowledge of supply economics, processes and cost drivers for the relevant project(s).
- Ensure project sourcing objectives, actions and priorities are aligned with involved business partners.
- Leads / supervises supplier selection, negotiation, contracting and supplier management strategies.
- Drive awareness of active supply issues within the project, clarifying business impact and lead resolution plans.
- Review Supplier Change Notices and work closely with Project Management to prioritize and drive implementations.
- Work closely with Project Management to monitor supplier performance metrics and actively participate in development, execution and closure plans – drive supplier accountability.
- Review supplier expediting schedules, conduct pre audit meeting with supplier, participate in post supplier audit meetings, attend supplier audits when feasible.
- Deeply assess supply base to identify risks of supply disruptions within the projects.
- Develop project risk management strategies and drive development and implementation of appropriate risk mitigation plans.
- Work closely with Project Management and business stakeholders to understand business impact and implement alternate sources of supply where appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree in the field of Purchasing, Engineering or Business.
- Master’s degree preferred in the field of Purchasing, Engineering or Business.
- International work experience in related industry with experience in Procurement/Strategic Sourcing.
- Experience in a regulated industry (i.e. pharmaceutical, food) preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing sourcing strategies that have yielded measurable business results
- Ability to work cross functionally in project work and project management
- Has overseen, sourced from or worked for EPCMV contractors
- Skills in all procurement processes including commodity management, supplier management, negotiations, contract management and e-procurement systems.
- Research, analysis, summary recommendation skills.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills on international level.
- Experience managing global relationships, both internal and external.
- Demonstrated Project management skills.
- Experience with international commercial contracts and agreements
- Strong negotiation skills; exceptional problem solving and analytical skills.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and ability to build business relationships and to work in multifunctional team
- Portsmouth NH USA and regional locations across North America.
- Up to 30% Domestic & International
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.