Senior Scientist (Media Development) - Rockville MD
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
This position is part of a team that is developing novel cell culture media, building on Lonza’s expertise in the area of cell culture processes for cell and gene therapy. The scientist should be able to independently define and execute R&D projects with minimal supervision. This is a hands-on research job where the scientist will be responsible for defining project targets, designing and executing experiments, analyzing data, drawing conclusions, and engaging in next steps.
This position will report on site daily at our Rockville MD facility
- Develop new media using media chemistry and cell culture techniques
- Culture multiple model cell systems, including primary human cells, virus production cell lines (HEK293, SfAAV)
- Utilize Metabolomics and Design of Experiment (DOE)
- Virus production
- Utilize FACS, ELISA, qPCR, ddPCR, light and fluorescence microscopy
- Data analysis/statistics (JMP, minitab)
- Lead a small research team, including hiring and mentoring of staff
- Level of this role is dependent on experience
- PhD with advanced industry experience in the life science industry (Virology, Cell Biology, Media Chemistry preferred).
- Excellent oral/written/presentation communication skills
- Strong work ethic; leadership skills; ability to perform in a team setting
- Cell biology, virology, and biochemistry; experience with a variety of cell culture systems (adherent and suspension, bioreactor operation), virus production (AAV, Lenti, Baculovirus) and exosome production
- Ability to speak publicly and present to a variety of audiences
- Opportunity to attend scientific meetings (potential for up to 10% travel)
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.