Scientist II, Research and Development
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an open position for a Scientist II to join the Biomanufacturing R&D team at our location in Bend, OR. This is an excellent opportunity to join a challenging, dynamic, and cross-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers who focus on improving the manufacturing of biologics medicines.
As a Scientist II, you will be responsible for working with a cross-disciplinary team to innovate and deliver solutions to biomanufacturing challenges across the industry. You will routinely conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data, and communicate and present results to Lonza research and development teams. You will apply strong bioanalytical chemistry and biology fundamentals to a hypothesis-driven environment to guide the development and tech transfer of new technologies across the Lonza organization.
You will be responsible for designing and developing analytical assays, executing experiments and analytical measurements, improving existing methods, addition of automation to appropriate analytical assays, interpreting and communicating results, as well as contributing to basic biologics laboratory management.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Applying fundamental knowledge of bioanalytical chemistry, biology, protein chemistry, protein cell biology and/or chemistry to the characterization and understanding of biological processes
- Designing and executing analytical techniques and benchtop chemistry, biochemistry, and biology experiments, including: characterization of proteins and metabolites using mass spectrometry, spectroscopic methods, chromatography
- Propose ways to measure new things and improve measurement efficiency through automation/ high throughput analyses
- Proficiency to safely operate and learn a range of analytical techniques and demonstrate proficiency for achieving quality results
- Use existing technical literature to improve and develop new analytical techniques and technologies
- Evaluate instruments, equipment, processes, and systems to improve safety, quality, performance, efficiency (automation) and throughput
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook to detail execution and results of experiments
- Communicate technical information to internal teams and/or clients in the form of oral and written correspondence, presentations, and reports
- Prepare written documents such as technical memos, reports, technology transfer documentation and contribute to peer-reviewed publications
- Lead in the execution of basic lab functions, and suggest and implement operational improvements of laboratory practices
- PhD in biochemistry, biology or chemistry with bioanalytical chemistry experience OR M.S. in chemistry, biology, or biochemistry with some experience in industry bioanalytical chemistry lab experience
- Strong fundamentals in bioanalytical chemistry, and biology
- Technical expertise in mass spectrometry and HPLC (High-performance Liquid Chromatography) based methods data acquisition, analysis and interpretation of results
- Working knowledge of running, analyzing and interpreting common analytical methods used in biological applications, including Raman spectroscopy, flow cytometry, NMR, plate assays, and/or gel electrophoresis is desirable
- Technical experience or knowledge of analytical applications utilizing high-throughput systems and automation is a desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A strong drive to learn and contribute outside of your educational specialty
- A bias towards collaboration
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.