Mechanical Designer/Systems Development Engineer
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Octane Biotech, a Lonza company, is expanding the develop, manufacturing, and commercializing the Cocoon cell therapy manufacturing platform and is seeking a new member to join the R&D Engineering Team. The R&D team is responsible for new design and development activities required to support the expansion of Cocoon platform capabilities and applications, transforming customer requirements into engineered solutions. In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the engineering activities to develop new features, improvements, and applications. This will require work in the areas of: Mechanical Design, fluid dynamics, accommodating biological process requirements, prototyping, testing, and transfer to manufacturing. This work will require knowledge of CAD, electro-mechanical systems, plastic materials, design for injection molding, design of machined components. As a Systems Development Engineer within the R&D group, you will be expected to support new product development, existing product changes, documentation and testing. You will be given autonomy within the tasks defined for you and are expected to bring new ideas and innovation to the table. You will be expected to collaborate with other team members and functions and support multiple projects.
- Working with the engineering team to develop and test required products
- Adhering to high-quality development principles while delivering solutions on-time and on-budget
- Assisting in the collection and documentation of user's requirements
- Participating in the translation of user requirements to design specification, concepts and directions
- Hands on prototyping and testing of design concepts
- Documentation of design using Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Apply knowledge of injection molding and machining processes
- Documentation of technical pursuits and experiments as they are necessary in the quality system
- Generation and review of documentation required for transfer of design to manufacturing, including collaborating on the development of jigs/fixtures, protocols, release testing and criteria
- Support market-readiness of product, including development of system level test protocols, testing, and other qualification activities
- Reviewing technical documentation produced by colleagues, including conceptual design, mechanical drawings, and technical reports
- In-field support of products through service support and root cause analysis of field issues identified in the product design
- Knowledge and experience with Medical Products, GMP practices, and sterilization techniques.
- Work within a self-directed team environment
- Other duties as assigned or determined
- Engineering Degree, Medical Preferred
- *CAD (Solidworks preferred) – including 3D modeling, 2D mechanical drawings, FEA simulations, renderings, and maintaining parts lists
- *Comfort with hands-on work with small components
- *Troubleshooting skills
- *Ability to work in clean environments
- *Comfort with measurement tools
- *Attention to detail
- *Thorough and clear documentation skills, particularly technical documentation
- *Systematic and organized workflow
- *Independent work and initiative
- *Good communication skills
- *Ability to assess/document risk associated with design change
- Exposure to or experience in cell culture
- Experience with biomaterials or biocompatible materials
- Ability to work with integrated electro-mechanical systems
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.