Director, Drug Substances R&D
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech has an excellent opportunity for a Director, Drug Substance R&D to join the Small Molecules Global Research & Development team at our Bend, Oregon location. Our new colleague will advance the Division’s capabilities in the development and application of innovative platform technologies (e.g., synthetic methods, catalysis). They will be responsible for setting goals and objectives for Division-strategic R&D programs. The incumbent will assign and oversee day-to-day activities in portfolio projects. They will be responsible for on-time and on-budget project delivery, and provide feedback on day-to-day performance evaluation for program team members .
Responsible for platform strategy and its articulation within the Global Small Molecules R&D Technology Roadmap
- Responsible and Accountable for developing strategic program plans and executing the enabling project portfolio.
- Work to define core problem statement(s) and quantifying their relevance (value), in collaboration with key business stakeholders
- Evaluate/prioritize solution concepts (including relevant external technologies)
- Define intellectual property strategy for prioritized innovations, for each project
- Establish milestones and timelines to affirm/negate project core hypotheses
- Execute projects in accordance with chartered (business endorsed) timelines
- Oversee cross-disciplinary teams based on program requirements
- Adhere to program and project budget targets
- Provide global communication of prioritized innovation programs to key internal and external customers
- Reports to R&D leadership team the status of portfolio projects within their strategic tech platform.
- Develop new strategic programs for business growth (leading as an individual contributor, as needed, to establish critical mass)
- Responsible for technical sales of new offerings (e.g., webinars, presentations, trade and peer-review article authorship.
- Mentor and train subject matter experts within cross-disciplinary program teams
- Ph.D. Degree in Organic Chemistry (e.g., Synthetic Method Development / Catalysis, Total Synthesis of Natural Products) with 6+ years’ experience; M.S. Degree with 10+ years’ experience
- Requires extensive expertise in Product & Process Research within active pharmaceutical ingredients, fine chemical, or agrochemical development
- Experience in client interactions, business development and scoping work streams is required
- Strong leadership, writing, and communication/presentation skills are required
- Must be independent, self-motivated, organized, able to multi-task, and skilled in communication, facilitation, and collaboration
- Individual must be a team player prepared to work in and embrace a team-based culture that relies on collaboration for effective decision-making
- Successful candidates must be able to learn quickly and work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated balance of collaborative leadership and autonomous problem solving
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.