Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As a member of the Global Capital Sourcing team, a Sub-Contract Administrator is sought to be responsible for the commercial management of a variety of projects within large and medium green or brown field CAPEX schemes (CAPEX project sizes/spend of min 5 m USD). The aims are to protect LONZA’s rights and entitlements as provided in the contracts, ensure the Contractors’ obligations are fulfilled, ensure LONZA is fulfilling their obligations, optimizing value-for-money, reducing contract risks, lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), on time/schedule delivery, quality and in-cost project purchases to support the goal for Lonza’s growth investments.
He/she is in position to mitigate risks related to the contract creation / execution, identify cost benefit solutions to complex contractual matters (including regular delivery and close out of complex negotiations with extremal Stakeholders and Consultants).
The position is expected to act as a commercial expert working in close cooperation and coordination together with the Global Engineering team (SGIE), the local project team and any other relevant internal or external stakeholder, ensuring a common LONZA approach to suppliers.
Project Procurement Execution Strategy
- Support the definition of the Risk mitigation plan;
- Participate in development of contracting strategies;
- Involve Cost Control Group and ensure the implementation of cost control system e.g. progress measurement, remeasurement, bank guarantees, additional items, claims, cash flow and back-charges;
- Analyse the contract conditions and assist the project management in the preparation and conduction of the execution of those contracts;
- Involvement with the review of new tenders and contracts with Strategic Supplier;
- Support the negotiation of major contracts, subcontracts and own the final review and document preparation with Strategic Supplier;
- Ensure relevant Procurement & SGIE process and standards are followed.
Post Tender Award
- Lead the execution of contracts to secure our Lonza contractual rights and entitlements;
- Responsible to report contracting plan status and variations to the Project & Procurement on a periodic basis;
- Manage the contracting plan during project execution, commissioning and evaluation stages, including the contractor's cost in cooperation with Cost Control;
- Prepare a summary of key contractual points (deviations from norms, identified risks, of concern to Lonza) generated by a review such that they can be readily identified and addressed;
- Negotiate and agree contract extensions & change request;
- Coordinate activities such as change orders, delay management, conflict management, preparation for potential litigation / arbitration / ADR in terms of proper documentation, timely responses to the contractor as per contract;
- Monitor and safeguards the legal right as per the provisions of the contract;
- Manage the Warranty and performance guarantees of the project assets;
- Ensuring all requirements of Lonza, are met with respect to contract review;
- Coordinating the involvement of legal counsel and/or Client legal counsel in reviews as required;
- Support in Arbitration and in Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedures;
- Overseeing, managing, directing and supporting the project commercial teams to ensure optimization of project returns.
- Identifying opportunities for outgoing claims, development of claim strategies, supporting/preparing notifications/correspondence as well as negotiation and settlement;
- Analysis of incoming claims, development of defense strategies, supporting/preparing response/correspondence, claim negotiation and settlement;
- Collection and registration of all claim related documentation in company’s claim repository.
Supplier Relationship Management
- Manage escalation of issues and claims management with supplier;
- Develop the supplier relationship according to the expectations per supplier segment;
- Support supplier relationship management and to ensure reliable high quality supply;
- Support the supplier performance, compliance and accountability through supplier scorecards and performance metrics;
- Involved in periodic commercial audits of main contractors.
- Identify and engage with internal stakeholders, including Project Management, Global SGIE, Global Procurement and Corporate Functions (mainly Legal and Finance);
- Clarify stakeholder requirements;
- Drive proactive communications.
- A higher commercial background equivalent to a Bachelor (BSc/BA), preferably Master degree (MSc/MBA) or equivalent and a good thorough technical understanding and knowledge in the field of Purchasing, Engineering or Legal, Quantity Surveying or Cost Consulting
- Experience with major contractors / consultants in roles dealing with management of project change procedures, cost management, claims and variations, negotiation and settlement of disputes with owners and subcontractors.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing contract strategies that have yielded measurable business results
- Ability to work cross functionally in project work and project management
- Preferably overseen, sourced from or worked for EPCMV / EPC contractors
- Experience operating at a senior level on a major project or in a Commercial / Claims Manager role in a large construction company.
- Experience in a regulated industry (i.e. pharmaceutical, food) advantageous.
- Contracting strategy & execution, strategic sourcing expertise, procurement/sourcing knowledge/experience for large CAPEX projects;
- A strong understanding of construction technology, sequencing and practices;
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated project management skills;
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing sourcing strategies that have yielded measurable business results
- Ability to work cross functionally in project work and project management
- Has overseen, sourced from or worked for EPCMV contractors
- Skills in all procurement processes including commodity management, supplier management, negotiations, contract management and e-procurement systems.
- Research, analysis, summary recommendation skills.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills on international level.
- Experience managing global relationships, both internal and external.
- Experience with international commercial contracts and agreements
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and ability to build business relationships and to work in multifunctional team
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.