Senior Scientist - Analytical Automation
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Did you know that we are the 1st biologics contract manufacturer in Singapore? We offer you exposure to upcoming biotech and established pharmaceutical companies and to the manufacturing technology needed to produce mammalian treatments and cell therapies of tomorrow. Our global manufacturing network is recognized for its reliable, high-quality services, regulatory track record, global footprint, innovative technology platforms and extensive experience – we, in Singapore are proud to be part of this global network.
The Development Services group is responsible for the development and characterization of manufacturing processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base. You will join a team that provides rapid analytical support for cell line selection, upstream and downstream process development and process characterization studies using routine test methods alongside automated high throughput assay platforms.
You will be joining the Analytical Development team within Development Services at Lonza Singapore, focusing on Process Development Analytical testing. You will be responsible for performing high quality analytical testing alongside taking a lead role in the identification and establishment of automated methods to replace manual processes in the laboratory for example sample preparation for, and then execution of methods such as HPLC/UPLC, capillary electrophoresis, ELISA and qPCR.
- Perform high quality right first time analytical testing for process development and process characterization studies at clinical phases (IND) and late phase (BLA).
- Expertise and breadth of knowledge with methods and instruments used for analysis of in-process and final product therapeutic recombinant proteins during process development such as, MEA, Octet, icIEF, CE-SDS, HPLC/UPLC (SEC, Oligos), ELISA, qPCR, etc, including high throughout versions for the methods.
- Develop, evaluate and establish automated liquid handlers and automated methods to replace manual processes (e.g. sample preparation and analyses).
- Actively participate in the writing of URS for new automated platforms.
- Attend and lead site visits for demos. Develop and manage vendor relationship and challenge when needed.
- Generate and maintain appropriate records and documents. Write SOPs, generate forms/Electronic lab notebook work flows for automated methods.
- Critically review and interpret raw data & information to produce good quality process knowledge and presenting data to customers.
- Coach, train and mentor junior members of the team to assist in their development, providing a transfer of knowledge and hands-on technical training to a high standard in automated methods.
- Lead problem solving / troubleshooting / lessons learned activities.
- Technical review of data generated by junior scientists highlighting any unusual or atypical results and leading appropriate investigations (root cause analysis).
- In capacity as a SME, represent the team in customer meetings in relation to automated systems.
- Contribute to Customer projects by representing Analytical Development.
- Working as part of a site and global project team, co-ordinate multiple projects and ensure timely delivery of project work stages. Supervision of small project teams will also be required.
- Lead improvements in scientific practice and identify error traps within the laboratory and within processes to improve standards.
- Develop a network in the scientific community for automation (internally (i.e. within Lonza) and externally).
- Degree/PhD in a relevant Biochemistry, Bioscience, Analytical Chemistry field or equivalent
- Adequate relevant work experience or PhD with some relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Practical laboratory experience in analytical testing for antibodies and Automation experience in analytical and biologics environment.
- This is a lab based position that requires previous experience in the establishment of automated liquid handlers and development of automation methods to replace manual processes.
- Knowledge of liquid handler programming (at least 1 type) and troubleshooting experience is required.
- Understanding of theory and application of protein production and process development
- Understanding and application of cGMP concepts.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Vaccination status: As the above role requires you to work on-site*, only fully vaccinated** employees will be shortlisted for the role. For fully vaccinated applicants, please indicate your vaccination status as “fully vaccinated” when applying for the role.
*In line with the latest advisory from the Ministry of Manpower, from 1 January 2022 only employees who are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 within the past 180 days, can return to the workplace.
** Lonza adopts the definition of “fully vaccinated” by the Ministry of Health in Singapore which means that you:
(a) have received the full regimen of WHO EUL vaccines from a specific manufacturer; and
(b) have met the prescribed post-vaccination period for the respective vaccine to be fully effective.
For more information, please visit: https://go.gov.sg/vdsmminfo