Associate Director, Business Development Northern Europe (Germany, BNL)
Associate Director, Business Development - Germany, Benelux – Small Molecules
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We have an opportunity for an Associate Director, Business Development, to join our team. Our preference is to have someone located in either Germany or Netherlands and fluent in either language, including English.
This role focuses on positioning Lonza Small Molecules in Germany and the Benelux, by building and nurturing a pipeline of opportunities, acquiring new customers and growing the business against clearly defined annual targets. The offering includes development and manufacture of drug substance, oral drug product intermediate and drug product, and the target customer base spans from Biotech to mid-sized Pharma. Like any other Business Development Manager, this position works closely with other market oriented functions such as Commercial Development, Technical Sales, Market Intelligence and Marketing to translate market trends and Customer needs into actionable plans.
The Associate Director, Business Development will be primarily responsible for building and nurturing a pipeline of Opportunities, generating business and business growth on behalf of Small Molecules against yearly objectives in Northern Europe (Germany and the Benelux) and, opportunistically, Eastern Europe.
To achieve this, they will manage a high level of Customer interactions including frequent calls and visits to effectively promote Lonza’s technical capabilities – namely, development/manufacture of Drug Substance and oral Drug Product services, including new offerings as they become available – and to lead negotiations of varying levels of complexity. In particular, they will demonstrate the ability to build trust based relationships, from technical personnel (scientists) to executive management (C-suite) as appropriate, in sophisticated matrices involving Lonza peers as well as senior management.
The position also requires nurturing an internal network with Marketing and Market Intelligence, to develop and rollout targeted strategies that build Lonza’s position as the leading solutions provider, and with Commercial Development, Technical Sales and Operations, to formulate value propositions and winning proposals, and to monitor seamless execution at all levels. Constantly acting as a team player, they will masterfully involve and lead other key stakeholders at different stages of the sales cycle.
In addition, the Associate Director will:
- Proactively identify targets and priorities, as well as respond to inbound inquiries from multiple channels in a timely manner
- Develop and demonstrate strategic business awareness of the market to position and differentiate Lonza from competition
- Work with contacts, consultants, networking associations and Customers to spot trends and needs (known and unconsidered), formulate value propositions
- Lead stakeholders into non- and technical discussions that result in the generation of technical proposals that are presented, defended and ultimately secured
- Build an ever growing community of valued Customers that act as spokespeople or reference on behalf of Lonza
Importantly they will continuously generate intelligence from own field knowledge and networks to refine existing territory plans; identify and follow market trends and potential to develop strategies and increase market share.
What we are looking for:
- A Master's degree in Life Sciences or Engineering (Chemistry, Formulation, Biochemistry, or related Engineering field)
- At least 5 years commercial experience in the Pharmaceutical, Biotech, CDMO or Life Sciences space.
- Fluent in German and English, preferably also Dutch
- Someone that is keen to understand customer motivation and value drivers. Builds enduring customer relationships based on trust. Proactively approaches challenging situations with a positive and energetic attitude.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, thrives on meeting and speaking with people. Strong team player that keeps direct line management and stakeholders informed throughout the sales cycle.
- Strong customer facing, with an ability to build long-term relationships based on trust. Accomplished presenter used to delivering impactful presentations to senior leaders. Highly persuasive and proven influencer. Has energy level and engaging style to easily form a range of customer relationships (from technical to executive level).
- Demonstrates strong business awareness and commercial acumen in positioning Lonza products/services against clearly defined, quantified objectives. Is optimistic and has the tenacity to bounce back from rejection.
- Creative, adaptive, and independent self-starter, ready to engage and lead other stakeholders into complex non- and technical discussions and presentations. Comfortable operating with degrees of ambiguity.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.