Associate Director - External Innovation Analyst
United Kingdom, Slough
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We are currently looking to recruit a Senior Science and Technology Analyst – External innovation into our R&D team based in Cambridge.
External Innovation is a key enabler of the transformation of Bio R&D in Lonza. The mission of External Innovation is to sustain Lonza’s innovative and competitive edge in all biologics modalities by accessing enabling technologies externally.
In this role, you will lead the analysis of scientific and technological trends in the public (universities, academia, public-funding bodies) and private (biopharma) spaces in areas that are relevant to the manufacturing of biological drugs. Based in Cambridge, you will work closely with members of the global External Innovation team to conduct analysis of emerging science and technology, in order to provide early intelligence for external innovation activities. There will also be some possibility of working remotely within this role with some travel to Cambridge.
This role would suit someone with sound knowledge and understanding of technologies in the field of biologics and biomanufacturing, and possesses a working knowledge of the tools within this area, with the ability to use data-science methods for advance searches and analysis (natural language processing, Python)
- Establish the methods and work-flows relevant to the role such as the identification of information sources e.g., public data-bases, proprietary information sources, scientific literature etc)
- Identify the available tools within Lonza and if necessary access them externally through subscriptions or licenses.
- Collaborate with functions and individuals in other parts of Lonza performing similar roles in order to leverage best practices and available tools and technologies
- Collaborate with R&D leaders and technology scouts within External Innovation to prioritize areas of search and analysis.
- Conduct search and analysis in the different areas of science and technology relevant to the field of biologics and biomanufacturing
- Surface early signals, trends and scientific intelligence for further discussion and analysis within teams
- Develop landscape views of technology areas
- Work collaboratively with the Strategy team and External Innovation technology scouts to support strategic road-mapping and analysis of technology gaps and options to fill such gaps
- Work cross-functionally with External Innovation, M&A and corporate ventures to maximize the use and impact of competitive information for decision-making regarding technology choices.
- Prepare and deliver analyst reports and lead the communication at key forums.
- Integrate analyses and critical information with existing external innovation pipeline management platform.
- MSc in Biological Sciences and in the field of Information Sciences. Having a MBA would be an added advantage or equivalent working experience.
- Scientific background, especially in field of cell biology, and manufacture of large molecule for biotherapeutics
- Previous experience and a deep knowledge of the methods, tools and best-practices in the field of information sciences as applied to science, technology and competitive analysis in areas such as consulting, scientific journalism, scientific marketing.
- Working knowledge with search and evaluation of patents from known patent databases.
- Previous experience and working knowledge of data science-based approaches to gather information from unstructured sources including use of methods such as programming in Python and natural language processing.
- Working-knowledge with public and private funding mechanisms and the demonstrated ability to gather, curate, analysis and present information as needed based on the audience for decision-making
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Able to translate complex information into coherent analysis and plans. Have the ability to pull from the detail and take a wider long-term view.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.