Global Head R&D Innovation Personalized Medicine
***Please note: This position can be out of our Kingston, ON location and also out of Walkersville (REMOTE) location***
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Global Head R&D Innovation Personalized Medicine is responsible for driving innovation, focused on new product/feature and process development, for the Cocoon Technology Platform. The focus is on “applied creativity” in the field of Personalized Medicine in general: we invent or aggregate new ideas for products and/or services, and we develop the technical and business implementation plans to make these ideas practical. We identify and develop the offerings that deliver new value for our customers and sustainable business growth for Lonza over future years.
Reporting to the BU Head, the Senior Director is responsible for leading the Personalized Medicine R&D/Innovation team, which is comprised of Biology, Engineering and Software Teams. Responsibility is to deliver near term accelerated innovations pipeline and all the while ensuring the development of the long-range R&D/Innovation plans for the Business Unit. Key purpose is to gain and maintain market leadership of the Platform via delivering innovative market need technologies on time and budget.
- Develops strategies and execution plans to ensure timely delivery on near term R&D/Innovation project outcomes and coordinates their implementation with Operations with efficient technology transfer disciplines
- Responsible for the overall management and leadership of a 7.5 mCHF budget (growing) and approximately 40 full time employees (FTE’s), Interns and outsourcing partners
- Ensures effective reporting to governance bodies and in planning tools.
- Responsible for developing strategic long-range R&D/Innovation plans (including setting up external collaborations) which will have an impact on the PerMed Business Unit and Cell and Gene Division.
- Assists with portfolio management for R&D/Innovation to maximize market penetration and ensuring consistent delivery on business targets.
- Plans, captures and secures all valuable new intellectual property from R&D/Innovation projects and ensures it is converted into unique value-added offerings for long-term competitiveness and profitable growth for Cell and Gene Division.
- Routinely engages with senior management on key enabling initiatives and to establish technology roadmaps in order to secure long term business opportunities for all Cell & Gene R&D areas
- Drives external thought leadership and also fosters an innovation culture within Lonza
- Provides leadership within PerMed and establishes effective communication channels to ensure alignment. Member of Senior PerMed Leadership team.
- Work with other teams to ensure efficient collaboration within and between groups, including cross-functional teams with representatives from R&D, manufacturing, Supply Chain, QA/QC, MSAT, Project Management, Commercial, PD, FAS, etc
- Critically analyze processes for improvement and scalability, and utilize background and expertise to establish and optimize new processes and technologies for incorporation into clinical cell therapy production.
- Maintains a high-level of market awareness and objectively assesses market intelligence data to support the execution of a long-term growth strategy. Ensures that Lonza can leverage external opportunities to complement and support internal R&D/Innovation.
- Ensures controls are in place through the team to effectively monitor progress and success.
- Lead a team of biological scientists, engineers and software developers, focused on product design and development
- Provide leadership to scientific groups through personal development plans, pro-active performance management, mentoring and coaching.
- Fosters a culture of curiosity, creativity and innovation that ensures awareness of latest external scientific and technological developments and ensures Lonza is optimally leveraging external innovation
- Present at scientific conferences, webinars and write white papers and manuscripts (or delegate)
- Ensure Design History Files are current, appropriately controlled, and compliant with domestic and international regulations, including but not limited to FDA’s Quality System Regulations, ISO 13485, ICH and applicable European Directives
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated innovative skills and experience leading complex technology projects.
- Leadership qualities that facilitate efficient and effective collaboration towards Corporate and Business Unit goals
- Minimum 15-year management experience, ideally in life science market
- Experience with product design and development, from idea generation to qualification and transfer to manufacturing
- Excellent leadership and people management skills. Interpersonal savvy – capable of managing multiple points of view and building partnerships
- Ideally experience in bioreactor design and development
- Experience leading cross-disciplinary projects, including biology, engineering and software
- Commercially savvy, good market understanding, and ability to foresee patterns / trends within customers and technologies
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in written and verbal communication
- Experience cell therapy, ideally immunotherapy
- Experience with biological process development, ideally focused on in cell therapy automation
- Excellent communication, presentation and listening skills.
- Ability to drive results and lead by influence within matrix organizational environment.
- Knowledge of cGMP/GLP/ISO 13485/US FDA 21 CFR 820/EU Directives/ICH9/ICH 10/ATMP
Innovative thinking, positive attitude, action oriented, change readiness, self-confidence, teamwork, relationship building, direction setting, empowerment and enablement, developing others, motivating others, enterprising, influential, connected
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.