Process Automation Engineer
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Process Automation Engineer role supports ongoing operations at the Portsmouth, NH site through technical assistance as it relates to manufacturing and process systems. The focus of the role is on ensuring manufacturing equipment and facilities are operating as intended to meet the requirements for biopharmaceutical manufacturing. Responsibilities of the Automation Engineering function include both tactical support of ongoing plant operations and strategic implementation of automation projects to meet the changing needs of the business.
- Planning and execution of plant projects involving complex equipment changes and significant process improvements
- Controls lead for tech transfers
- Support resolution of equipment breakdowns and quality issues in the suites
- Provide SME support to Manufacturing and other departments for the design and operation of process automation equipment.
- Conduct troubleshooting and technical analyses on manufacturing equipment and processes automation systems including PI data analyses, review/troubleshooting code, etc. both during normal business hours and as part of an on-call rotation.
- Support of Controls Systems on-site including; PLC, DCS, etc.
- Performs all work safely and meets the requisite training requirements.
- Participates in IPT/JPT in addition to other meetings as the Controls representative
- Participates in audits and inspections as Controls SME if required
- Owns and executes completion of CAPA actions
- Initiates change controls and participates in all aspects of the change controls process.
- Review SOPs, Functional Specifications, and work instructions
- Remain up to date on all assigned training activities
- Associates Degree Required, Bachelor's preferred. Engineering Discipline, Preferred area of study: Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Pharma/biotech industry experience or equivalent industrial automation environment. GMP/regulated environment highly preferred.
- Experience with automation controls/distributed controls systems, DeltaV Strongly preferred.
- Practical experience in the application of engineering principles to plant systems; Biopharmaceutical/process experience preferred, but not required.
- Experience in the technical analysis of operational and design issues within an industrial environment
- Experience in coordination and managing of outside resources (vendors, consultants) to accomplish engineering objectives.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite with focus on Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to effectively communicate via writing and oral communication both within the department and across departmental boundaries.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously ensuring compliance with quality and safety standards.
- Ability to secure relevant information and identify key issues and relationships from a base of information. Relate and compare data from different sources and identify cause and effect relationships.
- Ability to evaluate engineering problems and be able to devise cause and affect relationships and propose solutions.
- Demonstrating the proper level of detail for all aspects of the job.
- Ability to establish a project plan that outlines the course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal.
- Ability to keep customers/requesters and management apprised of status of work under your direction. Ability to maneuver around hurdles to accomplish goals/tasks
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.