Head of Safety, Health & Environment
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Bioscience has an exciting role for a Head of Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) who will report to the Site Leader as part of the site leadership team. This individual will have responsibility for setting the direction and measuring the results of all EHS related efforts. Incumbent is the Subject Matter Expert when it comes to all things EHS related, and is responsible for the development and implementation of all EHS programs on site. Leads and manages the efforts of the EHS department which includes personnel management and appraisal as well as providing day to day direction to the team. As a member of the site leadership team, advises on safety related issues, initiatives and strategy for continuous improvement of site safety culture and performance.
- EHS Project Management – Develop projects and lead teams to achieve improvements in site EHS performance and enhancements in site safety culture.
- Department Management – Direct and lead the daily work of the EHS Department including budgeting, hiring and staffing and performance management.
- Site Leadership – As a member of the Site Leadership Team serves as SME on all EHS matters. Advise the site leadership team on safety related issues, initiatives and strategy for continuous improvement.
- Program Development – Develop site EHS programs to meet regulatory compliance, prevent injuries and protect the environment.
- Program Implementation/Enforcement – Work with site employees and contractors to understand and achieve the objectives of the site EHS programs.
- Inspections and Audits – Conduct and coordinate EHS inspections and audits including internal inspections, corporate, regulatory and customer audits.
- Risk Assessments/Resolution – Participate and lead EHS risk assessments for new operations, equipment and process changes. Work to resolve all EHS concerns.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Environmental, Industrial Hygiene, and RCRA knowledge. CSP preferred (certified safety professional)
- Bachelor’s degree in Environment, Chemistry, Safety, Engineering or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Substantial experience in an cGMP manufacturing operation with a track record of managing strong safety related programs as measured by industry reporting standards as well as Safety/Environmental compliance responsibilities.
- Substantial experience in a cGMP manufacturing environment and significant supervisory experience including full cycle performance management.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing strategies for continuous improvement
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Industrial Hygiene Certification a plus
- EMT, First Aid training a plus
- Certified Trainer certificate a plus
- Comprehensive knowledge of all EPA/OSHA/MOSH/MDE requirements and regulations
- Comprehensive knowledge of governmental regulations; EPA/OSHA and the desire to develop more in depth knowledge in these areas.
- Proficiency in MS Office skills is required
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.