Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) Manager - Viral Vector
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Our Lonza site in Houston is seeking a Manufacturing Science and Technology (MSAT) Manager, Viral Vector. This position is responsible for managing a medium group of Scientists and Engineers whose major responsibility is process Technology Transfer from PD or clients to GMP Viral Vector production. This incumbent serves as the MSAT business partner within the Viral Vector asset at Lonza Houston. The responsibilities of this management role include coaching, mentoring, and providing guidance and technical leadership roles in client-facing projects and/or Lonza strategic projects, establishing new processes and policies, and mediating conflicts, providing technical input and guiding company strategy, prioritizing work and assisting in establishing long term group direction and objectives.
- Provide general supervision to a group of MSAT Scientists and Engineers whose responsibility is process Technology Transfer of Viral Vector manufacturing processes including Upstream and Downstream
- Serves as the MSAT business partner for Viral Vector asset.
- Establishing short term and long-term group directions and objectives. Responsible for resource allocation and project prioritization.
- Provide technical guidance to reports and cross functional asset teams in areas of process Tech transfer, process design and scale-up, facility fit, gap analysis, FMEA risk assessment, troubleshooting and investigation.
- Drive innovation and continuous improvement.
- Build cross functional relationships with other internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to Process Development, Viral Vector Manufacturing, Quality units, Supply Chain, Facilities and Engineering, and other global MSAT organizations.
- Communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Serves as a Subject Matter Expert during internal and external audits.
- Coach and develop staff for future leadership roles. Manages group performance.
- Follows all training and policy guidelines established for the facility as well as all cGMP requirements. Ensures employee training profile is up to date at all times by regular monitoring of training lists (e.g. ComplianceWire, SAP Learning Portal) and completing all training in a timely fashion.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering and/or Life Sciences. Preferably in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, other Life Sciences Degrees are acceptable. MS or PHD preferred
- Highly experienced in cell biology, adherent and suspension cell culture, scale-up and bioreactor operation, chromatography operation, UF/DF, and TFF
- Work experience in viral vector product/process development or manufacturing is a plus.
- Advanced experience in Biologics Process Development, MSAT or Manufacturing
- Strong leadership skills The capacity to motivate, encourage and influence others, in the achievement of specific objectives, and to carry ultimate responsibility.
- Prior experience managing a staff
- Experience with Biologics CMC regulations, international guidelines including but not limited to FDA, EMA, ICH.
- Understand emerging technologies (Cell and Gene Therapy) and think ahead in the interests of Lonza
- Facilitates changes and be flexible to learn new processes and new technology, Lonza processes for delivering results
- Communicate effectively and work successfully in a team.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.