Site Head, Operations
Site Leader, Capsules and Health Ingredients
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Site Leader for the Greenwood SC USA site leads a complex business operation that enables $500M in revenue generation, with $200M spend budget, 3 business modalities, and 700 employees. This person oversees the site leadership team and is jointly responsible with business unit leaders to deliver the annual financial commitments for the business unit, owns primary accountability for achieving the site’s manufacturing key performance indicator targets (Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, Innovation, Retention), and oversees long-range strategic initiatives and master planning activities for the site. They hold top accountability for regulatory compliance for the site, customer qualification and ensure ongoing certifications by applicable accreditation bodies. The Site Leader manages a diverse group of senior operational Directors, Managers and Professionals with high strategic importance to the organization.
Key Accountabilities and Duties:
- Annual financial target achievements for revenue, profit, and free cash flow. Enabling responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring a positive customer experience for 300+ annual customer visits
- Innovation and product development as directed by the business unit
- Oversight, development and execution of the site’s capital investment plan
- Inventory optimization in collaboration with Supply Chain leaders
- Margin expansion activities
- Collaboration with Sales and Marketing on commercial enabling strategies
- All Manufacturing results at the CHI site with all its elements, connected and aligned to the Business Unit
- Continuous improvement for both new and existing services and products via a “Dedicated to Excellence” and Lean program.
- Ensuring the site is a “Great place to work”, aligned to colleagues, community and social responsibilities.
- Continuous development and optimization of the site masterplan and direct oversight of site-specific strategic initiatives linked to the global masterplan.
- Working through a Senior Leadership team, the Site Leader will be responsible for all site staff with direct line accountability for operational managers, engineering, EHS and maintenance. The site leader is also chairperson of the site leadership team that includes other functions such as Quality, Supply Chain, HR, Finance, and commercial leaders.
- Leading the site to ensure a highly effective organization, fully compliant with appropriate cGMP, regulatory, certifications, and EHS legislation.
- Working with every level of the Lonza organization including external communications with clients, community leaders, and regulatory auditors.
- Lead, develop and coach a Site Leadership team with shared business objectives and manage continuous improvement and on-going organizational change.
- Planning and execution of site activities consistent with company’s Vision, Value and Mission.
- Ensure that the site is fully in compliance regarding quality and safety.
- Sustains “Employer of choice status” within town and region
- Fosters an exclusive work environment where voice of employee is paramount
- Frequently interacts with employees at all levels within the site to ensure and enhance understanding of issues/concerns
- Consistently scores high on any and all employee engagement results
- Creates an environment where site is recognized as a leader in Lonza Value of inclusion
- Repeatedly develops solutions to solve challenges and continuously demonstrates ability to execute solutions quickly
- Maintain and protect Lonza’s hard and soft resources and assets on site, in the community and marketplace.
- Assure appropriate staffing to meet business goals.
- Ensure proactive community relations, Lonza’s reputation and leadership for community involvement.
- Responsible for keeping the site a viable System within the overall CHI Network.
- Responsible for annual spending and capital budgets.
- Responsible for product process development and improvement of existing and new products in all areas of development and manufacturing – cost, quality, safety environment, waste, etc.
- Ensure production output can meet designed capacity. Liaise with Global Operations support teams in a timely manner to develop plans for appropriate capacity for future requirements.
- Reporting: Provide timely all site reports needed for the overall Operations reporting and performance management.
- Ensure a process improvement mind-set to reduce management complexity, improve visibility and use financial information to drive business decisions.
• Drive compliance with all relevant GMP and ISO Quality procedures, programs, guidelines, and work instructions through developing a culture of sustainable quality adherence
• Promote a safety culture and demonstrate commitment to a safe site
• Knowledgeable and complies with all pertinent safety policies, rules and regulations.
• Ensure that all team members comply with safety rules and regulations.
• Set the tone for the site – Customer-centric, financial accountability, safety, quality, continuous improvement, community, social responsibility and the health and wellness of colleagues
• Provides appropriate coaching and performance feedback to all direct reports and assures that all team members are being developed.
• Leadership responsibility for coaching 8-10 direct reports, several indirect reports and all site employees.
• Identification and development of talent on the site leadership team
• Ensure appropriate level of talent identification and development across the site to ensure excellent succession plans are in place for all critical functions
- BA/BS/MA in Life Science and/or Business (e.g. Engineering, Biology, Finance)
- MBA would be an advantage
- Considerable experience and background in pharmaceutical or nutritional products business
- Must demonstrate high level of emotional intelligence
- Experience in capsules manufacturing is highly desirable
- Experience working in an international company
- Proven track record of delivering results against short and medium term goals
- Proven ability to identify and fix problems at all levels across all functions
- Strong knowledge of GMP
- Site management experience
- Experience working in matrix organizations
- Strong leadership, motivational, and people skills
- Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team to face complex business challenges
- Ability to move daily with ease from hands-on to strategic planning
- Excellent inter-personal communication and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Fluent in English (verbal and written)
- Strong presence in local community is highly desired
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.