Senior Scientist - Virology
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Walkersville is hiring a Senior Scientist. This individual is part of a team that is developing novel cell culture media, building on Lonza’s expertise in the areas of cell therapy and cell culture processes. The scientist should be able to independently define and execute R&D projects with minimal supervision. This is a hands-on research job (75% lab based) where the scientist will be responsible for defining project targets, designing and executing experiments, analyzing data and drawing conclusions/next steps.
- Define, plan and successfully execute of R&D projects against aggressive timelines.
- Investigate and clearly articulate the value proposition of assigned projects.
- Be up to date on the latest research in the assigned project’s field.
- Define project targets in close collaboration with a wider Lonza team which is working on a variety of cell culture media.
- Develop sound project and experimental plans proactively seeking input from technical stakeholders. Translate plans to aggressive but achievable timelines while proactively managing technical and timeline risks.
- Persevere to identify and remove roadblocks to timely and successful delivery with management support.
- Independently and objectively analyze experimental data, organize technical reviews to communicate progress and findings within the Lonza technical and commercial teams and present progress to senior management. Analysis includes drawing conclusions within the wider group context, hypothesizing mechanistic explanations of observed results, and proposing next steps.
- Develop strong collaborative working relationships within the wider R&D group. Actively solicit technical input and conversely provide input into other projects to generate discussion and a sense of shared success.
- Write and revise technical documents, maintain accurate and up to date records, including appropriate lab notebook recordings, lab SOPs, test protocols and reports.
- Manage external academic and industry collaborations as needed.
- Train new hires, interns, and collaborators (both internal and external) on relevant technologies and platform.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- 5-10 years of experience in Bench research in Biotech industry
Education and experience:
- Degree in a relevant area (Virology, Molecular Biology, Biology).
- PhD with up to 10 years of experience in the life science industry.
- Cell biology, virology, and basic biochemistry; experience with a variety of cell culture systems (adherent and suspension, bioreactor operation) and virus production (AAV, Lenti, Baculovirus, etc.)
- Media chemistry
- Virus production, manipulation
- Cell culture media development
- Data analysis/statistics
- Plasmid engineering
- Media chemistry
- Aseptic technique / work with BSC level 2
- Mammalian and insect cell culture
- Excellent oral/written/presentation communication skills; strong work ethic; delegating skills; leadership skills; ability to perform in a team setting
- qPCR, ddPCR
- Fluorescent microscopy
- Design of Experiment
- Assay development (detection assays, functional assays)
- Bioreactors (STR, ambr, Wave)
- Molecular biology
Every day, Lonza's products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.