Lead Scientist, Analytical - Protein Characterization
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
You will be joining a new Analytical Services team within Development Services in Lonza Singapore, Science Park Facility, focusing on protein characterization using mass spectrometry and other analytical methods.
The Development Services group is responsible for the development and characterization of manufacturing processes used for the production of novel therapeutic recombinant proteins for Lonza’s global client base. You will be responsible for leading studies in the Characterization team, ensuring that projects are delivered in a timely and efficient manner, training and development junior members of the team and driving innovative improvements. The team perform studies to characterize biopharmaceuticals to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the molecule attributes and to generate fully qualified and characterized reference materials that can be used as part of subsequent cGMP batch release testing in the QC laboratories.
- Collate, analyze and interpret data to communicate progress and escalate challenges to Line Manager, project teams and customers as appropriate.
- Exercise technical discretion in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments for product characterization and biocompatibility studies per relevant ICH regulatory guidelines.
- Review and approve GMP documentation e.g. SOPs, protocols and reports, regulatory documents as required
- Leading problem solving investigations and supports OOS/Aberrant result investigations as required.
- Provide leadership to junior team members through their expert scientific knowledge.
- Manage multiple studies and discuss data changes/discrepancies (through both written reports and verbal presentations).
- Deliver high quality communication to ensure an outstanding customer experience (written reports, teleconferences and face to face meetings).
- Lead improvement projects and driving new innovations within the analytical function.
- Facilitate communication between other departments in Singapore and across the global Lonza network (e.g. Development/MSAT/QC/QA/Program Management) relevant to area of expertise.
- Demonstrate flexibility to support other activities within the Analytical Services department
- Degree/PhD in a relevant Science field or Equivalent
- Minimum 4-7 years work experience in recombinant protein analyses or PhD with 2-5 years’ postdoctoral relevant recombinant protein analyses experience.
- Demonstrated experience with methods and instruments used for protein characterization such as LC-MS (peptide mapping, intact mass analysis and oligosaccharide profiling), icIEF, CE-SDS, HPLC (SEC, RP, HIC, IEX, HILIC) and SEC-MALS including expertise in the analysis of the resultant data.
- Experience working in a cGxP/CMC analytical environment would also be considered advantageous.
- Clear understanding of the relevant ICH guidelines in the area of protein characterization.
- Understanding of theory and application of protein structural analysis.
- Good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Good team working skills.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.