Global Subject Matter Expert – Discovery Solutions
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Walkersville has an exciting opportunity Global Subject Matter Expert – Discovery Solutions. The successful candidate will handle Field-based global marketing, in-depth technical and application based sales & customer support for all of the product areas of Lonza Pharma Bioscience Discovery Solutions, including BR Media, Cell Biology, Cell Analysis and Transfection( including chemical, viral, and electroporation based methods). This includes technical scientific seminars in any of these product areas; product training for customers and Lonza personnel; customer support and troubleshooting, including support for new products such as RAFT, the uHTN, beta testing the new LV, and support any new product and / or initiative introduced. Serves as thought leader in aligning Discovery Solutions strategy within Bioscience marketing organization. This position is a member of the marketing leadership team within Bioscience
1. Field-based technical and scientific support, in the areas of transfection, cell culture, and applications using these techniques including genome editing, transposon based systems, and a knowledge of various emerging therapies such as CAR-T cell therapy and other autologous and allogeneic approaches in the areas of cell and gene therapy. Also assists customers with experimental design, collaborates with customers and provides assistance with integrating Lonza products into unique and novel experimental systems. Supports sales & marketing for all of the products in the Lonza Bioscience Discovery Solutions portfolio, including training for Lonza personnel, distributors, and customers.
2. Presentation of technical and scientific seminars in support of Lonza products and applicable technologies at conferences, academic institutions, customer sites, and webinars. This includes market outreach efforts to scientific journals in both online, visual, and print media, and in the
solicitation and generation of white papers.
3. In-depth technical and scientific support for customers for products, applications, as well as the collaboration and assistance with customers in the experimental design and integration of Lonza products into unique or novel experimental systems.
4. Field support for beta-tests and field based application testing of new products and systems
5. Support and coordination of activities with other divisions in Lonza, especially for Emerging
Technologies/Cell Therapy and CMO divisions.
6. Participation in external forums to keep abreast of industry trends, such as Share groups, LinkedIn groups, etc.
7. Maintain understanding of the latest Discovery Solutions opportunities and trends in customer interaction and inspire the Bioscience organization with those possibilities.
8. Identify and execute on opportunities to harness technology to deliver increased traffic to the Bioscience
Discovery Solutions product portfolio.
9. Establish and report engagement metrics and KPIs. Develop reports on a regular basis, including recommendations and insights. Analyze competitor performance and make recommendation for ongoing Discovery Solutions efforts or specific programs. Responsible for the delivery of management dashboards and scorecards related to Discovery Solutions.
10. Participation and engagement in VOC (voice of customer) surveys, studies and solicitations.
Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in depth evaluation of variable factors. Exercises judgment in selecting
methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Internal
and external contacts often pertain to company plans and objectives.
• Master’s degree or Ph.D in Biology, Chemistry or Biochemistry or
equivalent. In- depth knowledge of cell biology research and related
markets. 2+ years’ experience in sales and or product management
within the life science field. Demonstrated success at building customer
relationships and understanding customer needs. Past laboratory work
• Experience in life science research market
• Strong passion for and possess in-depth knowledge of cell biology & cell analysis
• Ability to clearly and convincingly articulate product benefits & values,
branding, marketing and creative strategies
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills and
knowledge of communication best practice
• Data interpretation and analysis
• Must really understand and “get” customer experience
• Strong strategic thinker: Ability to apply conceptual strategy, brainstorm facilitation, and day-to-day directing of projects through completion (project management). Proven experience creating strategies that are executable through creative expression
• Must be able to build productive relationships with team members
• Must be passionate, highly driven and highly motivated
• Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
• Good team player and ability to lead teams as project lead
• Project management experience preferred
• Tactical sales and or marketing experience preferred
• Embracing work in a global team
• Demonstrated sales/marketing skills
• Language requirements: Minimum English fluent in speaking and
writing, other additional languages preferred
Working area is either located in an office in Walkersville and or home based office with a computer, phone, and filing cabinets. Computer glare screen if needed. Up to 50% travel required.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.