Lead Scientist, Media R&D
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
We have an opportunity for an experienced upstream process scientist with deep knowledge of Bioprocess Media Development to join our team of experts in Cell Culture Media Development as a Lead Scientist based in Slough.
This is a fast-growing team that is purely focused on innovation and a unique opportunity to help lead cell culture media development projects in multidisciplinary and dynamic team.
The key responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Head, Media R&D Slough; plans and prioritizes tasks and assignments in a work program
- Provides in depth and hands-on technical expertise/scientific guidance to team members
- Design, develop and optimize bioprocess cell culture media for biologically active proteins, monoclonal antibodies and biosimilars
- Executes experimental plans, analyse experimental data, writes technical reports
- Is responsible for ensuring that studies are scientifically sound and in line with current regulatory guidance and expectations
- Contribute scientific expertise and propose new ideas and product concepts targeting the research market, drawn from scientific literature and personal experience
- Independently design and manage research projects according to priorities and track project progress toward milestones and deadlines
- Ensures GLP and EHS regulations are followed
- PhD in life science, cell biology or chemistry, with related laboratory experience in Industry or BSc/MSc with multiple years of experience in Industry
- Experience with ambr250 and STR bioreactors is highly desirable
- Good understanding of upstream processes, including fed-batch and perfusion cultures
- Experience with DoE software (s) and statistical analyses
- Knowledgeable of the current best practices for developing cell culture media including metabolomics, cell biology, biochemistry, metabolic flux analysis
- Technological background in mammalian cell line development and cell culture process development
- Demonstrated knowledge in designing and developing cell culture media including in-depth understanding of critical raw materials, chemical attributes and media chemistry
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, time management, organizational and written/ oral communication skills are highly desirable
- Previous experience working in cross-matrixed/functional teams and ability to work on complex effectively and collaboratively in a matrixed environment is an asset
- Ability to successfully complete complex projects will be viewed favorably
- Inventiveness, enthusiasm, motivation, and problem solving skills to develop new technical capabilities and solve challenging problems are assets
This is an exciting opportunity to join an organization with a rich heritage of delivering innovative solutions in the bioprocessing space. People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
If this sounds like you, please apply below!