Operational Excellence Project Manager
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Bioscience has an exciting opportunity for an Operational Excellence Project Manager to join our team in Walkersville, MD The role exists to provide key support for the site leadership team to deliver business results by working with teams to identify opportunities for improvement and taking accountability for rigorous execution and delivery. The Operational Excellence Project Manager is able to influence teams across the corporation, and is expected to help generate the Operational Excellence (OE) strategy and execute to identify as well as develop systems that support the business in continuous process improvement efforts, enhancements to the daily management system and culture change. The role supports and/or leads general OE programs and training, mentoring Yellow Belt trainees to certification and project completion.
- Act as a subject matter expert for the site coaching others in the philosophy, methods, tools and techniques of process improvement to increase the capability of the business to respond to problems. Support and execute continuous improvement projects that increase throughput, provide favorable P&L impact, and improve organizational scalability using Lean/DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control) approach.
- Project Management: Supports the execution of all aspects of project(s) having an internal focus from initiation to delivery; Tracking timelines working with internal and external contacts to finalize projects , applying lean six sigma methodologies as appropriate to harmonize efficient processes/standards; Ensures appropriate communication & participation; Responsible for supporting project plan creation/revision and maintenance, project management documentation, and identifies issues and potential hurdles within project(s) and propose options for resolution.
- Helps review Operational Excellence (OE) strategy to identify and develop systems and support for ongoing site efforts: process improvement, daily management system, and culture. Facilitate Kaizen events and workshops.
- Help in developing improvement project business cases to secure the necessary support and resources for success. Support departmental improvement efforts in a variety of project team member roles to accelerate delivery of improvements.
- Coach teams to establish performance measurements and process control plans to monitor project results and drive sustainability. Communicate project progress and promote project achievements to maintain awareness of improvement activity on the site, in the network, and with corporate leadership.
- Actively engage in problem solving at the site by identifying critical issues and providing solutions linked to root causes. Drive creative thinking beyond the boundaries of existing industry practices and mindsets. Assist in complex root cause analysis/technical investigation (RCI) when needed;
- Modify and facilitate training sessions of relevant material. Coach Yellow belts through project completion and certification.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in Life Sciences and/or Engineering)
- Experience in an FDA regulated Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry a plus.
- Lean Six Sigma (LSS) Green Belt Certification preferred, Project Management Professional preferred.
- Understanding and practitioner of Lean and Six Sigma principles and Project Management Methodology.
- Experienced in process improvement tools and methodologies.
- Facilitation skills; Proven facilitator with the ability to manage and lead teams.
- Experience leading several LSS projects with detailed project plans.
- Computer skills (expertise with Minitab statistical software, MS Project, Excel, Visio, Access, SharePoint).
- Diplomacy, negotiation skills, independent work skills, strong work ethic and self-starter.
- Ability to become gown qualified.
- Ability to work on production floors to facilitate/coach implementation of Lean methodologies.
- Identifies organization’s strengths and weaknesses and suggests areas and leads efforts to improve upon fore mentioned issues.
- Reviews and edits requirements, specifications, business processes and recommendations related to proposed solution.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.