Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Systems Engineer will support ongoing Lonza operations through technical assistance as it relates to computerized systems infrastructure for process automation and QC laboratory systems. In this role, you will act as a technical resource to operations customers to ensure that systems are designed and operating to meet production needs
Participate in an on-call rotation to provide after hours support to resolve issues outside of normal business hours will be required.
- Provide day-to-day Operations Technology (OT) and infrastructure support for the Automation, Business Analytics, Quality Control, and Manufacturing Operations.
- Contribute to designing, documenting and implementing infrastructure technology related to both QC and Engineering while aligning with corporate standards and industry best practices.
- Maintain the integrity infrastructure technologies, which includes performing routine preventative maintenance (patching, updates, upgrades) and ensuring appropriate security standards are followed.
- Monitor and troubleshoot daily system backups. Perform maintenance and repair for operator workstation terminals, label printers, and wireless devices.
- Proactively recognize potential issues or problems and establish the necessary corrective actions
- Assist with the planning and execution of plant projects involving computerized infrastructure changes and process improvements
- Investigates and troubleshoots technical problems of increasing complexity
- Utilizes colleagues, system documentation, and support contracts to solve complex problems
- Continuously aware of new methodologies pertinent to information systems and is able to introduce them with limited supervisory input
- Contributes to design of new applications and solutions
- Develop, test and maintain disaster recovery procedures
- Authoring of commissioning protocols (installation, operation, etc.)
- Own change requests and participate in all aspects of the change control system
- Assist the Quality department with deviation investigations
- Participate in RCAs as Operations Information Systems (OIS)representative
- Bachelor’s degree required. Preferred area of study; Computer Science, IT or engineering discipline
- Significant experience in application of IT principles in high availability production and laboratory systems. Biotech/pharma or regulated industry preferred
- Experience scripting in PowerShell, Python, and/or VB
- Knowledge with VMware ESX, ESXi, and VSphere environments with vCenter Management
- Experience with using and troubleshooting Syncade
- Familiarity with an event based Manufacturing Execution System (MES) preferably in the life sciences field
- Experience with designing information interfaces, data conversion, and network and infrastructure fundamentals
- Experience with operating systems; Unix, Windows and Linux
- Experience with databases; Oracle and SQL Server 2005/ 2008
- Experience with deployment applications; Symantec Ghost, Acronis
- Experience with programming languages; VB Script, .Net, and SQL is preferred
- Experience with Cisco and 3Com network switching and network monitoring utilities
- Experience with Citrix Metaframe or Microsoft Terminal Services
- Ability to think critically and logically
- Proficiency with OSI PI is preferred
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.