Director, Medical Affairs – Immunology
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
As a member of the Personalized Medicine (PerMed) senior leadership team, you will work closely with the Head of Commercial Development and Head of Personalized Medicine to set, and continuously evaluate, the strategic direction of the clinical partnerships of Personalized Medicine. Specifically, you will manage all clinical development evaluations, collaborations, and activities for personalized medicine. You will also give key input on R&D projects to assure alignment between R&D initiatives and clinical needs. In conjunction with commercial development, you will scout relevant pre-clinical and clinical programs globally in the cell therapy space, with an emphasis on cellular immunotherapies, and evaluate their strength and chances to be commercialized. In addition, you will interact with the PIs and physicians to discuss their work, programs, and clinical trials. Finally, you will develop the chosen clinical programs with clinical centers and oversee the implementation of the programs and their successful execution.
- Responsible for setting out, and internally selling, the roadmap/strategic vision of desirable therapeutic constructs, and other cutting edge technologies to enhance immunotherapeutic efficacy
- Initiate contact with, evaluate, and interact with possible external partners globally (companies, clinical centers, etc.)
- Work with Commercial Development to develop, and refine the scope of work for each commercial agreement (MTA, CTA, lease agreements, collaboration agreements, etc.)
- Formalize clinical program plans, scope, and path towards Phase I trials, and subsequent adjustments required in the technology during the trial with an eye to drive commercial success
- Oversee and manage the execution of each of the Personalized Medicine clinical programs and adjust according to results
- Aligns with stakeholders in the PerMed business unit and across Lonza
- Lead quality and regulatory aspects of clinical activities together with input from QA/RA
- Gives guidance as to R&D project needs and priorities
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's, M.D., Ph.D., PharmD (focus in Immunology is a plus)
- Significant experience in Personalized Medicine, Cell and/or Viral Therapy
- Solid understanding of clinical programs in the cell therapy space
- Good understanding of clinical center settings and interaction with PI’s and physicians
- Deep understanding of cell biology and immunotherapy biology, including animal models
- High degree of thought flexibility
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to find win-win solutions and to work closely with business and academic partners
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.