Lab Manager – R&D Mammalian Expression Centre of Excellence
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
With a renewed focus on innovation, Lonza are significantly expanding their Biologics Research and Development (R & D) division. The R&D Mammalian Expression Centre of Excellence (COE) has a commitment to build the mammalian expression systems of the future. We are therefore seeking a Lab Manager, with experience of working in a dynamic research environment to support and facilitate our research team in Cambridge and help deliver innovative solutions to facilitate the production and delivery of medicines. The Lab Manager will play a critical role in ensuring the smooth operation of the R&D laboratories, and also in ensuring the highest standards of scientific research are maintained across molecular biology, cell culture, and automation labs. The lab manager will also represent the R&D function at a site level engaging with site facility and service functions.
This is a fantastic opportunity for candidates looking to transition out of a day-to-day wet lab role, whilst still making an important contribution to leading edge bioprocessing R&D.
- Develop and maintain lab procedures, experimental protocols and work instructions.
- Plan and coordinate laboratory activities for scientific projects
- Contribute knowledge and experience to assist with protocol development
- Provide assistance and conduct trainings to team members when needed.
- Procurement and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Maintain inventory control of laboratory equipment and consumables
- Ensure that lab procedures comply with high quality standards.
- Enforce company policies and safety regulations for operational efficiency (e.g. risk assessments, COSHH, GMO regulations, etc.).
- Review and recommend improvements to lab procedures
- Stay current with latest developments in lab techniques and technologies
- Identify new equipment needs
- Act as a point of reference to others with regard to all laboratory related issues.
- Be willing and able to make critical decisions and to inspire the team with well thought out, logical judgements.
- Represent the interests of R&D lab users at site leadership meetings
- Function as a role model in the laboratory to more junior members of the group
- Degree in Biological, Medical or Health Science disciplines or another relevant field
- Enthusiastic motivated and driven to succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Possess excellent interpersonal communication skills and be able to lead and direct others.
- Have an approachable demeanor
- Demonstratable experience of working in cross-functional teams and senior management.
- Able to demonstrate contribution to technology development projects, with experience of implementing new technologies that can be transferred from the research environment to GMP manufacture
- Technical expertise to maintain lab equipment
- Experience with electronic laboratory notebook software
This is an exciting opportunity to join an organization with a rich heritage of delivering innovative solutions in the bioprocessing space. People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
If this sounds like you, please apply below!