Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Pharma & Biotech is looking for a Senior Project Engineer to support their expansion in Bend, OR. As a member of the Engineering Team, the Project Engineer will lead and oversee capital projects involving the planning, reconfiguration, or construction of structures or equipment and systems.
The Project Engineer plays a critical role in eliciting client requirements and specifications for projects and ensures that business drivers are clearly defined and communicated. The Project Engineer develops project funding requirements and guides the project through the funding process. The Project Engineer verifies that projects are planned, executed, and documented in accordance with established site and Lonza methodologies for delivering best-in-class services on capital construction projects. In addition, this person must leverage knowledge of GMPs to ensure that projects are executed with minimal disruption to Operation’s schedules and must provide construction management oversight to ensure that projects are executed safely, efficiently, and in accordance with all applicable codes and requirements.
- Directly responsible and accountable for delivering capital projects to scope, budget, and schedule
- Provides direct management, execution, and oversight of capital projects of varying complexity from concept through Commissioning and Qualification (C&Q)
- Leads the governance structure that oversees the entire process flow involved in effective project inception and execution
- Ensures projects are executed in accordance to current Lonza and site methodologies, policies, industry best practices, and cGMP requirements
- Defines project scope and clearly identifies problem, functional requirements, and recommended options
- Establishes project team, develops project strategy, master schedule, and spending schedule
- Identifies and mitigates project risks to scope, budget, and schedule
- Manages plan/design review processes including stage gate reviews, EHS reviews (e.g. HAZOP, etc.), equipment evaluation, tests, and approvals
- Supervises contractor evaluation and selection process. Manages contractor inspection process to ensure safety and compliance
- Sets up logistics system, including vendor selection, RFQ’s, bid selection, invoice approval
- Coordinates the development of engineering and GMP documentation, procurement, engineering services, construction, C&Q, and turn over to Operations
- Provides frequent review of progress vs. schedule versus cost with appropriate teams. Updates Client and Management
- Interacts with Senior Management for project reviews and governance
- Ensure construction safety
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Education requirements with a preferred area of study in Engineering, High School Diploma or equivalent and extensive related industry experience required
- Project management or project execution experience in the pharmaceutical or related industry are required
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, or Six Sigma Black-Belt training preferred
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.