Senior Manager, Maintenance
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Bioscience has an exciting new opening for a Senior Manager, Maintenance to join our team in Walkersville, MD. Reporting to the Head of Technical Functions, this role will have responsibility for leading, either directly or through outsourced services, a team responsible for the smooth, efficient and reliable functioning of all of the operations of the Walkersville manufacturing facility. Manage internal and external resources for maintenance, calibration, facilities, reliability and spare parts management.
- Responsibility for the delivery of reliable operation and maintenance of all plant utilities, manufacturing equipment, HVACR systems including but not limited to WFI, water, steam, compressed air, process gases, waste/ neutralization, process equipment, air handlers and temperature controlled rooms and equipment. This includes the planning, scheduling, spare parts and reliability engineering related to the above assets.
- Direct and lead the daily work of the facilities, maintenance, calibration, reliability functions including budgeting, hiring, staffing and performance management.
- Responsible for the site Reliability program and driving OEE. Responsible for Continuous improvement of maintenance and equipment reliability through thorough analysis of equipment operations and maintenance efficiency. As part of this effort, a key area of focus will be the implementation of the Lonza Asset Management Program (LAMP) deliverables.
- Responsible for compliance with all current Federal and State regulations, acts as a point of contact for the FDA and other government agencies as well as customer audits.
- Provides all necessary planning and supply projections regarding facility expansion, including new construction and renovation of existing spaces. Investigates and drives capital and operational improvements to the site.
- Responsible for the overall development and continuous improvement of work management. Ownership of continuous improvement efforts to improve work execution, customer service, organization and efficiency.
- Develop and maintain Key Process Indicators (KPI’s) to monitor the effectiveness of the Maintenance and Calibration Work Order Execution, Planning and Scheduling program as well as the proactive utilization of available maintenance resources.
- Assign work to direct reports including new projects and initiatives, prioritize work based on business needs, impact to quality and safety, and employee development
- Guide direct reports through technical challenges and escalation of issues
- Conduct regular 1-on-1’s with employees to check progress on work objectives
- Assist with development of employees to help employees achieve career goals
- Perform mid-year and year end performance reviews with employees
- Accountable for technical work of direct reports
- Manage training for staff
- Assist with the planning and execution of plant projects involving changes and process improvements
- Own change requests and complete change request tasks to support project completion
Deviations / RCAs
- Initiate deviations for group related issues
- Assist the Quality department with deviation investigations
- Participate in RCAs
- Assist with completion of CAPA actions
- Assist with completion of work order extensions
- Review/revise Maintenance and Manufacturing related , SOP’s, Work Orders, and work instructions, as a result of CAPA, equipment/process changes, error prevention activities, etc
- Facilitate preparation of Out of Tolerance Notifications (OTN’s), Investigation Records, and end of month reports for activities
Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering (Chemical or Mechanical Engineering) preferred
- Substantial experience managing a large industrial asset base, preferably in the Pharma/Biotech space.
- Prior experience managing a cross-functional team of utilities, maintenance and reliability engineering personnel
- Solid understanding of Facilities, Utilities, HVAC and maintenance operations within a biologics manufacturing facility
- Up to date with current latest state of the art practices, regulatory trends and regulations
- Thorough knowledge of reliability methodologies and applications of continuous improvement processes that drive OEE
- Team player with exceptional customer service skills, integrity and ability to interact with all levels of personnel. Requires strong attention to detail and analytical skills as well as problem analysis and resolution. The employee is living the cultural beliefs with the flexibility to adapt to changing business priorities. Is open to and actively seeks out feedback on their performance and translates that feedback into action.
- Proficient with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), SAP Preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite with focus on Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Must have strong organizational skills and be able to manage and prioritize multiple projects or assignments at one time, including the ability to follow assignments through to completion and meet deadlines.
- Able to communicate status, needs, forecasts, risks and timelines effectively to management.
- Able to explain technical concepts in a manner easily understood by non-SMEs.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.