Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is actively seeking a Scientist who will work in a high performing, cross-functional team with the goal of driving innovation in the development of platforms related to the manufacture and use of therapeutic cells. This individual will be responsible for working on and developing innovative cell manufacturing technologies that can be scaled-out or scaled-up. This hands-on (75% work time in the lab) Scientist will be expected to identify requirements and source equipment, design and execute experiments, develop metrics for evaluating technologies, as well as assist in the tech transfer of new processes and equipment into operations. The incumbent will be responsible for acquiring, analyzing, and communicating experimental data in cross-functional fashion. This role will be based in Rockville, MD (Shady Grove).
- Planning and running experiments to evaluate and develop upstream and downstream processes
- Critically analyzing processes for improvement and scalability; utilizing background knowledge and expertise to establish and optimize new processes for eventual incorporation into clinical therapies
- Independently analyzing experimental data using statistics and graphing software, and communicating the findings to project team and executive committee level stakeholders.
- Interpreting analytical results and proposing next steps.
- Writing and revising technical documents, maintaining accurate and up to date records, including appropriate lab notebook recordings, lab SOPs, test protocols and reports.
- Capable of achieving technical deliverables in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Management of potential academic collaborations to support exploratory feasibility studies
- Participate in general lab activities such as cleaning and maintaining lab supplies and equipment
- PhD degree in biology or bioengineering discipline
- Working experience in culturing and manipulating mammalian cells (i.e. isolation, purification, gene editing)
- Experience in generating and culturing iPSCs (Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells)
- Experience with molecular biology Techniques such as DNA/RNA prep and PCR
- Experience with flow cytometry
- Hands-on experience with cell-based assay (characterization and potency)
- Excellent oral/written/presentation communication skills; strong work ethic; delegating skills; ability to perform in a team setting
- Ability to work in a matrix team environment as well as independently on routine experiments
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and work in a dynamic environment
- Computer software skills including Microsoft Office
- Self-directed and self-motivated, willing to learn
- Willing to work a few hours on weekends
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.