Senior Project Engineer
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Greenwood, SC has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Project Engineer. This role will supports ongoing Lonza projects by providing technical leadership as it relates to design, specification, implementation, and operation of process or utility systems. The role acts as a technical resource to Project Managers and project team members to ensure that equipment and facilities are designed, installed, and turned over for production needs.
- Responsible for the design, planning and execution of projects involving facility or equipment changes and process improvements as assigned
- Manage execution of design, procurement and construction activities
- Execute commissioning protocols (Construction, IQ, OQ)
- Complete change request tasks to support project completion
- Provide SME support to SGIE and other project related departments for the design of facilities, utilities and operation of equipment
- Support tech transfers of new processes into the facility
- Participates in audits and inspections as project engineering SME
Supervising (as required)
- Assign work to direct reports including new projects and initiatives, prioritize work based on project execution plans or schedule, business needs, impact to quality and safety, and employee development
- Guide direct reports through technical project related challenges and escalation of issues
- Accountable for technical work of direct reports
- Manage engineering contractors to augment Lonza project staffing
- Review/revise related SOP’s, work instructions, and maintenance assessments/procedures that are in support of the project deliverables.
- Complete review/approval of submittals, commissioning protocols, and validation protocols related to project deliverables.
- Initiate EDCRs for updates to Engineering documents including engineering drawings
- Review and provide project schedule updates and budget progress updates.
Remain up to date on all assigned training activities including SAP Learning Portal (>90%), ComplianceWire (no overdue), iComply (no overdue), and QSMRT (attend all sessions)
- BS Degree in Engineering Discipline
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite with focus on Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Project. Experience with SAP, Primavera Unifier, and Primavera P6 desired
- Ability to effectively communicate via writing and oral communication at all levels to both internal and external customers. Express ideas effectively in individual and group situations (including non-verbal communication). Ability to communicate to internal and external personnel including regulatory authorities and to communicate complex technical information to both technical and non-technical people. Ability and willingness to express opinions and argue their basis.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, keeping track of costs and schedule and ensuring compliance with quality and safety standards. Use organizational skills to prioritize and resolve project issues. Ability to evaluate solutions and recommend action based on meeting scope, schedule, and budget.
- A solid understanding of design principles and standards within Biopharmaceutical facilities. Ability to look at plant problems and come up with options for solutions. Ability to understand and challenge design and execution concepts from outside vendors/engineers. Understands how other departments are impacted by engineering work and proactively forecasts and communicates resource impact to affected departments.
- Ability to develop alternative courses of action that are based on logical assumptions, factual data and engineering principles. The alternate actions take into consideration resources (financial and manpower), constraints and organizational priorities. Provides solutions to a wide range of difficult problems; solutions are imaginative, thorough and practicable. Gain approval for recommended solution and implement through proper channels.
- Ability to accomplish tasks through concern for all areas involved. Demonstrating the proper level of detail for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes, data and tasks; and maintaining watchfulness over a period of time.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external teams or those outside formal line of authority (e.g. peers, senior managers) to accomplish project goals. Take actions that respect the needs and contributions of others; contributing to and accepting the consensus; subordinating own objectives to the objectives of the project team. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical problems; frequent inter-organizational and outside contacts.
- Ability to establish a project execution plan that outlines the course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Monitor the activities of consultants, vendors, contractors, and internal staff to ensure that resources are allocated properly in order to achieve project goals. Understands Lonza’s business systems and is proficient at working within those systems to achieve goals. Drives for improvement in the systems.
- Ability to make active attempts to influence events to meet the goals of the project or organization. Given very general direction; independently determines and develops an approach to problem solving or project execution. Reviews work in terms of meeting project and organizational objectives.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.