Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza has an exciting opportunity for a Scientist to join our Personalized Medicine team in Rockville, MD (Shady Grove). This position provides an opportunity to perform cutting edge research in the field of cancer immunotherapy, and work with a team of cross-functional engineers and scientists to translate and optimize client-specific cancer immunotherapy processes into The Cocoon®. It is imperative to determine the phenotype and function of the cells cultured in the Cocoon® in order to ascertain that the translation of the client-based immunotherapy into the Cocoon® produces cells similar to the client processes. Therefore, by working side-by-side with the clients, this position will perform hands-on technology transfer of analytical methods, acquire, analyze and communicate the data to stakeholders. She/he will work in a fast-paced environment to communicate these data in a timely manner, in order to enable process development decisions that would facilitate the optimization and advancement of the immunotherapy from pre-clinical towards commercial-scale manufacturing.
- Designs and executes experiments, including setup and compensation of flow cytometry multicolor panels, staining of cells, acquisition of samples, analysis on FlowJo, and communication with minimal supervision.
- Interprets results, presents results to direct supervisor & Cocoon team, and proposes next steps. Strong communication and organization skills are a must.
- Effectively prioritizes, plans experiments and orders reagents to ascertain that projects are initiated within timelines.
- Proficient in utilization of flow cytometers, with BD flow cytometers preferred.
- Writing and revising technical documents including lab SOPs, test protocols, batch records, gap analysis, and reports.
- Maintains accurate and up to date records, including appropriate lab notebook recordings.
- Externally present results at scientific conferences and publish scientific papers in high quality peer-reviewed journals.
- Maintains accurate and up to date records, including appropriate lab notebook recordings. Capable of achieving deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Evaluate new technologies to increase automation and streamlining of process development (PD) processes.
- Agile to adjust to fast-paced environment, and adapt to changing priorities.
- Flexible to work after hours and weekends, as needed.
- Achieves deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology (or related discipline); PhD highly preferred
- Significant experience with analytical characterization of Immune cells with flow cytometry and other analytical methods
- Industry experience is highly desired
- Knowledge of T-cell biology and a deep understanding of the host immune response against cancer
- Preferred skills include, setting up T cell activation assays, manipulating monocytes and dendritic cells, and B-cells to present antigens using ex vivo derived immune cells or tumor-infiltrated lymphocytes.
- Proficient in developing immune assays, hematopoietic stem cell culture, use of flow cytometry, magnetic isolation of cells, Flowjo analysis, and basic cell and molecular biology techniques
- Independent, agile, and motivated researcher with a positive attitude to work both individually and in collaborative settings, learn and implement new techniques in the lab through conception, design, execution, analysis and interpretation.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.