Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza in Rockville, MD (Shady Grove) has an exciting opening for a Senior Scientist to join our R&D Innovation Team in Personalized Medicine. The team is focused on developing novel, innovative features and processes for the Cocoon to increase its capabilities while maintaining it as the market-leading platform for patient-scale cell therapy manufacturing. This is imperative for the Cocoon® Platform success in the fast growing, evolving cellular immunotherapy field.
The Scientist will work in a cross-disciplinary team with the goal of driving innovation of scalable bioreactor processes related to the manufacture and use of therapeutic cells. The team member will be responsible for developing innovative cell manufacturing processes. This biologist or bioengineer will be expected to identify requirements, design and execute experiments, as well as assist in new process tech transfers. Cross departmental communication will be required to convey requirements to achieve targets. The Scientist will be responsible for acquiring, analyzing, and communicating experimental data in a cross-functional fashion. This member will be responsible for communicating with clients and leading other team members in executing experimental plans. This person will be accountable for achieving key goals according to a schedule.
- Planning, running and/or supervising experiments to evaluate, develop and optimize upstream and downstream cell therapy manufacturing processes
- Developing novel features for integration in the Cocoon platform
- Optimizing automated cell culture systems and processes
- Qualifying features prior to market launch
- Working with beta testers to achieve external feedback on design
- Critically analyzing processes for improvement to establish and optimize new processes for eventual incorporation into clinical cell therapy production
- Independently designing and executing experiments, including data analysis, communication of results and proposals for next steps
- Obtaining and analyzing experimental data
- Maintaining accurate and up to date records
- Capable of achieving deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Writing technical documents including SOPs, test protocols and reports
- Communicating with clients and other stakeholders
- Developing timelines to achieve technical targets
- Presenting technical data to a range of audiences, as well as at conferences
- Work within a self-directed team environment
- Other duties as assigned or determined
- Master’s in Biology, Bioengineering, Immunology or related discipline; PhD in Biology, Bioengineering, Immunology or related discipline (PhD highly preferred)
- Extensive experience/knowledge of cell culture techniques (preferably with immune cells)
- Industry experience in the cell therapy field
- Experience with flow cytometry (FACS)
- Preferrable experience following quality systems for Design & Development (e.g. ISO 9001)
- Preferrable experience with product development
- Preferrable experience with bioreactors and/or cell culture automation
- Technical report writing
- Computer skills, MS Office
- Data analysis, presentation and communication skills
- A strong data analysis/statistics background
- Good written and oral communication skills; independent work skills; strong work ethic; delegating skills; ability to perform in a team setting
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.