Research Associate (Virus Media)
Today, Lonza is a global leader in life sciences operating across three continents. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza Bioscience is actively seeking a Research Associate III to join our Cell Culture Media development team in Rockville, MD. This individual will play an important role in the development of next generation cell culture medium for virus production. The qualified individuals are expected to design and execute virus media development projects, analyze data and troubleshoot problems in manufacturing and QC for virus media.
- Contribute to the design and execution of experiments necessary to develop, re-develop, or optimize virus production in HEK293, Sf9, and other cell lines.
- Analyze data generated from experiments to develop, re-develop, or optimize virus media.
- Perform routine assays with high sample throughput including but not limited to virus quantification, cell counting, qPCR, flow cytometry, spent media analysis, and ELISA.
- Make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results.
- Perform cell culture, cell and virus banking, immunoassay, and virus quantification assay.
- Draft SOPs, writing reports, and present data in various formats.
- Troubleshoot manufacturing and QC issues associated with virus media.
- Assist with writing presentations for scientific meetings.
- Maintain stocks of lab supplies and perform lab housekeeping functions.
- Must ensure that corporate, quality, regulatory, and safety procedures/requirements are being observed and followed at all times.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences or related discipline; Master’s degree is preferred
- Working experience in the area(s) of Virology, Biology, Chemistry, statistical analysis, technical writing, laboratory equipment, aseptic technique, and small-scale bioreactors.
- Good communication skills are needed to be able to share data and conclusions with scientific peers and others around the company.
- Good time management and organizational skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced team with outstanding multi-tasking skills are a must.
- Computer literate including, but not limited to, MS Office.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.