Senior Principal Scientist - Characterisation
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
The Senior Principal Scientist is a recognized technical expert who provides leadership
on highly complex customer and in-house projects in Characterisation and across the wider Lonza network following all safety and quality procedures. They provide leadership for proactively identifying and resolving complicated technical issues where there is a high level of uncertainty and ambiguity. The Senior Principal Scientist works on multi-disciplinary strategic teams with colleagues across the Lonza network to ensure that Characterisation services are an integral part of delivering wider customer and corporate projects. They actively mentor more junior technical colleagues and identify the future technical requirements for the business and champion their introduction.
- To provide strong scientific and CMC technical leadership in the development and support of processes for the development and manufacture of therapeutic proteins by mammalian cell culture.
- To be a Subject Matter Expert in 2 or more relevant areas.
- To design and lead multi-disciplinary project teams to achieve customers’ or
- Lonza’s objectives, broadly in line with areas of scientific expertise.
- To recognise and disseminate information about emerging trends that impact Lonza's ability to deliver its customers' projects or win new business in both short and long terms.
- Identify, design, sell and deliver strategic projects
- To ensure a high standard of science and quality of work is maintained for customer and in-house projects.
- To develop and mentor early / mid-career scientists, primarily on technical issues.
- Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Life Science
- Familiarity with methods and instruments used for protein characterisation such as LC-MS (peptide mapping, intact mass analysis and oligosaccharide profiling), icIEF, CE-SDS, HPLC (SEC, RP, HIC, IEX, HILIC) and SEC-MALS
- Expert appreciation of running Mass Specs and how to use the data
- Experience of Complex proteins – Complex antibodies – Complex Molecules
- Understanding of protein structure, post translational modifications, degradation pathways for recombinant proteins
- Understanding of phase appropriate regulatory and quality expectations for clinical phase analytical characterisation and comparability studies
- Understanding of analytical control strategies applied to biopharmaceutical products
- Putting together Packages of Work and Designing of Experiments
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference